Never Before: For olaf827

Never Before

For olaf827 

~~~~~~~~~~~

You are both 17

Hiccup's P.O.V

****************

Even after exploring for years, I still enjoyed it. Nothing could replace the feeling of recording something for the first time in history, nor discovering it. There was no equivalent to the feeling of not knowing what you're about to learn next.

So when I found a island filled with at least a dozen dragon species I've never even heard of, I had to check it out.

I felt like I was being followed the moment I hopped off of Toothless, but ignored it. Toothless sniffed the air and seemed alert. He would know if there was any danger. He always does.

"Come on, bud. I'm sure it's just a curious dragon." I walked deeper into the thick forest. Studying and recording the different dragons and their behaviors. Most eyed me, like they had only heard stories of humans from other dragons. Others flew away the minute they realized I was human and nearby. This island was at a significant distance from any village, so it was understandable.

The feeling of being watched, however, never faded. It just grew stronger.

I heard two or so dragons fighting a short distance away, but dismissed it. Dragons fought like siblings. One sounded different from any dragon call I'd heard before. Almost human. I went to investigate after I heard snapping and a human scream of pain. Is there another human here?

I ran to a small clearing where a couple dozen dragons surrounded a dragon and a human girl who was bleeding badly.

The dragon lifted its head, as if to show pride before making its kill.

"No! No," I shouted, jumping between the girl and the dragon. I held my hand out and spoke softly to calm the dragon down. After it looked confused but calm, I turned my head away. The dragon rested its snout against my palm.

I turned to look at the girl staring at me with large (E/C) eyes. She studied me before looking at herself then back at me. She released a short string a growls and grunts. Toothless replied in his native tongue.

"You speak Dragonese?" I asked. "Cool! What's your name?" Toothless gargled something before looking at me and shaking his head no. "She doesn't understand me?" I guessed.

Toothless his head probably to say, "No, she doesn't."

The girl started to move but froze in pain. She took a minute to breath before slowly standing. She lost a lot of blood.

"Here, let me help you," I coaxed, holding out my arms.

Suddenly, a large dragon bounced forward and curled around her, growling at me in a threatening manner. Toothless growled back, stepping up to the challenge.

"No, Toothless. He's just protecting one of his own." Toothless calmed down, but still looked guarded. "Relax, bud."

The dragon wrapped around the dying girl was a monstrous nightmare. He started to catch aflame but quickly stopped, glancing at the girl who was resting against him.

The girl let out this whimper, then a painful growl. The dragon nudged her with his snout when she collapsed next to him.

I rushed forward to help. The dragon caught my advance and stopped it.

"Don't worry. I'm only here to help. I can save her. Just let me help."

I stuck my palm out and turned my head away. A few seconds later, I felt a snout against it. I looked up to find the dragon looking at me with caution. I kept my hand on him as I slowly walked towards the girl.