Chapter 13

Kyler

Driving to pack territory, I had the realization that I'd definitely been gone too long.

The part of me that needed pack to feel centered and not alone was definitely aching. I hadn't even realized that I'd been ignoring it.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

I glanced over at Logan.

"It's fine. We're not animals." He gave me a look. "Well,not all of the time," I amended. "It's going to be fine. I just think I need to talk to Hector in person, where I can gauge everything better."

He nodded.

"I get it. I'm just nervous. It's like I'm meeting your family for the first time and I already know they won't approve of me."

"They are my family. But I don't really give a shit whether they approve or not. I'm an adult and I'll make my own choices. Besides-you're far from the first non-were someone has brought to the pack."

He grunted.

"Fine. But we're meeting my family next and I don't want to hear any complaints," he warned.

"Okay," I said meekly, secretly happy that he was thinking about our future like that.

I drove through the small town that was filled with pack alone.

I knew people had offered to buy land or inquired about moving businesses here before, but they had always been politely turned away.

This was supposed to be a sanctuary, a safe place for the pack. Letting others in would take that away.

Hector's home was deeper in the woods, situated centrally on pack land for ease of access.

We went off the paved road and onto a neatly maintained dirt one surrounded by dense trees. It went on for quite a while before opening up to the clearing where the Alpha's house sat.

As I parked, I heard Logan's low whistle.

"Wow. This place is huge."

I looked at it through new eyes, too used to it to really see it anymore.

It had two wings with a brick facade and definitely looked like a country manor, though trees had been allowed to grow closer than they would have for a proper one.

Its size was actually practical considering all the guests Hector routinely had, from our own pack and from visiting ones as well.

"Come on. I'm sure he knows we're here already."

I'd called ahead so he'd be here when we arrived. As the Alpha, he wasn't just head of the pack, but also of all the pack business ventures and financial dealings.

As we climbed up the steps to the porch, the front door opened.

"Hi Kyler!"

"Hi Rissa," I said with a smile, hugging her plump body close. "Due soon?"

She laughed, the sun highlighting her blond curls as she rubbed her rounded belly.

"I feel like I was due yesterday, but I still have a couple of weeks to go." She looked over at Logan with a smile. "And you must be Logan. Welcome!" She pulled him into a bear hug too, one that he returned gently.

Rissa usually had that effect.

She moved back, her smile genuine and warm.

"Hector is in his office waiting for you. You go on in and I'll bring in some lemonade."