Chapter 9: Locked Hearts

Hikari didn't know how long she was asleep, it felt like ages have gone by.

I had no energy left. I was motionless, I was awake but I couldn't move. It was silent in the room, it felt cold. I thought I was alone, wherever I was now. But then I heard voices.

"Who is she?" A girl's voice questioned.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" A boys voice asked.

"Hmm, don't know. Guess we're gonna have to wait." Another boy answered, with a deeper voice.

I slipped back into sleep, it dragged me back. Time went by. I felt someone's presence, a familiar voice returned and echoed throughout my head.

"It's time to wake up, Hikari." The voice said.

I have slept long enough! 

I was back in the room again. I took in a deep breath, as if I was coming back to life. I slowly opened my eyes. My vision cleared. It looked like I was... In a jail cell. The big metal door was sealed tight across from me. The floor had white tiles. And the walls were bright with heart like symbols on them. I looked around the room. I noticed two pairs of bunk beds and a chair with a table in the far side corner. There were metal bars next to the door. As well as a broken mirror on the wall. A window far up the wall behind me was letting in a stream of faint morning light.

I looked over and saw that I wasn't alone in the room. There were three figures standing further in the cell. They wore dark cloaks that covered them from their head to their feet. They had silver zippers and a metal chain like necklace that hung around their jacket. The cloak's zipper was unzipped around their knees showing their black pants and boots. Two of them were short and one was tall.

These must have been the voices I heard earlier.

I looked down at what I was wearing, I had on the same black cloak as them.

"Ah, look who finally decided to wake up." The tall one spoke, holding a finger up.

"Give her a break, she must have been through a lot." The girl said, turning her body towards him with her hands on her hips

"Everyone shows up here like this, even you at one point... It seems like it's been getting more recent lately." The short one answered, as he held a fist up to his chin thinking.

"Yet another one they dropped off." The tall figure sighed, he held his hand up to his head, shaking his head.

I sat up and rubbed my head.

I'm not sure if I can trust these strange people yet, or this place. How did I  even get here? But, what have I gone through? It's so hard to remember clearly...

I stared Into the dark faces of these strange people, but I couldn't see.

Who are they? What happened?

I strained my brain to try and remember what had happened to me earlier, before I woke up here. But all I felt was a sharp pain in my mind.

Something is clouding my memory.

I reached my hand up to my head. I tried to get up but found my legs were like jelly, I quickly sat back down.

"Whoa, don't hurt yourself." The short boy said holding his hands up.

"You've been out for a long time." The girl said.

I need to figure things out here.

"Who, are you?" I questioned.

"Oh, you're a smart one aren't ya? Name's Axel by the way, get it memorized." He said almost delighted, he held a finger up to the side of his head.

What a funny thing to say.