Chapter XVIII

"What happened, Dustyn?" Angel shouted, falling to her knees next to the young king.

"I remember everything," Dustyn said, grimacing in pain. He weakly lifted a hand to Angel's face, the fingertips briefly touching her lips until he lost consciousness.

Michael knelt down and placed his hand to Dustyn's forehead. "He's fine, Angel, but I wonder if the same is not going to happen to all of you. My fear is that it could occur in battle." The Fallen Archangel scanned the room, looking at the other Original Souls. "If it does..."

Angel smiled at Michael. "We understand, but this is something we have to do, there is no other alternative. We can't run from this."

Danny and Carter agreed.

"Look, King David there is wakin' up," Danny said. "That was quick."

"Ohhh, that was a rush," Dustyn said, sitting up with Michael's assistance. He shook his head and blinked. "I cannot believe I lived that many lives! It's amazing you guys, I am like a never-ending volume of Reader's Digest."

"A what?" Angel asked.

Danny chuckled at the girl. "Young 'un. Hey, Dustyn, you're a Millennial, too. So, how'd you know what Reader's Digest is?"

"My grandmother had them lying all over her house. I used to read about all kinds of stuff in those books."

Carter nodded, "Yeah, I've perused one or two myself sitting on the john."

Danny laughed out loud. "Been there..."

Azazel wore a scowl on his face thanks to Danny and Carter's ridiculous banter. He stepped up to examine Dustyn a little closer and lifted the young man's chin to look into his eyes, squinting as he peered into the glossy blue orbs. "I don't think we have to worry about the others regaining their memories like our little King here."

"And why is that, brother?" Gadreel asked.

Azazel tilted Dustyn's head side-to-side, examining it. "I thought about it and their weapons aren't the originals, only Dustyn's is his actual sword," the Watcher replied, releasing King David's borrowed face.

Dustyn was confused. "How did you find my sword, anyways, Azazel? Was it in a museum or something?" he asked.

The Watcher pointed at Michael.

"He didn't," The Fallen Archangel said. "It was taken to Heaven with Azrael..."

Dustyn's eyes widened. "I remember that name. Wasn't she the Angel of Death sent by God to destroy my kingdom because of what I had done?" he inquired.

"Yes, you are correct," Michael replied.

"Well, where is she? Why did she not stop Holok? I know for a fact she was a very powerful Archangel."

"Azrael disappeared shortly after bringing your weapon to Heaven and no one knows where she went or why she disappeared. Some say she might have left and went looking for our Father across the dimensions."

"None of this matters, now," Azazel interrupted. "Tell us, what do you want to do, Brother Michael? Do you want to continue to hide a little longer, or, do you want to fight? We can go to my cave..."

"No. I say we make a stand here," Dustyn said as he stood. He glanced over at Danny and Angel. "Hey, guys, since it looks like I have my memories back and Carter has his combat skills from his last life. The two of us, we're ready to go, but, I hate to tell you, you two aren't ready, even with weapons. You should really sit this one out for the moment."

"You're just sayin' that because you don't want me getting' hurt!" Angel said angrily.

"Well, yeah?" Dustyn stated.

Danny pursed his lips. "You gotta point there, Dusty. Fine, I'll stay back for now and keep Miss Priss out of trouble."

"Kiss my ass, Danny!"

"I'm just kiddin'," the trucker said with a laugh. "Especially, after hearing about your soul-destroying sword."

Angel crossed her arms. "Hrmph..." she snorted in frustration, turning her back toward Dustyn. "I ain't some defenseless damsel that needs protectin'!"

"No one thinks you are, Angel," Michael replied. "There is just no need for you to do something that will needlessly end your life. You will get plenty of chances to destroy Grigori, that's something I can guarantee."

"I can take Angel and Danny to my cavern. They will be safe there," Azazel said. "Dustyn, you and Carter have my permission to stay here and fight if you leave before I get back. I will return shortly."

"Thank you, Azazel," Dustyn said with a polite nod.

The Watcher stood behind the two Original Souls, placed a hand on each of their heads, and all three vanished.

"Well, I'm not getting in the middle of all this," Gadreel said.

Carter shot The Watcher a disappointed look. "Seriously? After all this, you are gonna bail on us, just like that?"

"You can come find me after you're done...if you win. We'll work on a few more things," Gadreel said. "You see, I got this gig tomorrow night that I really can't miss." He waved, then disappeared.

"Brother, wait..." Michael's words went unheard.

"Look's like it's just us three. I say let's go get started," Carter said, throwing the luminous rifle over his shoulder.

"Four," Azazel said, popping back into the warehouse, his Heavenly energy bow and arrows slung over his back.

"That was quick!" Dustyn exclaimed.

"You would all die without me," the Watcher said flatly.

"You like us, admit it," Carter said.

Silence.

Carter shrugged.

Michael produced a pearl and gold sword handle from his dirty robes. He held the shiny object in the air and then quickly swept it out in front of him. A flaming blade extended outward from the hilt. "Let's go!" he said staring at the Heavenly weapon.