chapter 1

Aria's POV

*beep beep beep beep beep !!!!!*

The fast pacing sound of the machine going off like a fire truck in the surgical room. Nurses in their green scrubs scurrying across the room, adding tension in the air.

Two people wearing blue scrubs, the second most important people in the room and the most important, lying on a metal operating table fighting for her life.

"I need nurses working fast please! I need to get this baby out now!"

I am now in surgery, trying to prevent a woman from losing her unborn babe, and from the looks of it... it's not looking good.

"Doctor we're losing her! She's flatlining!" One of the nurses shouted.

Keep calm.

"Get more 'RBC'! (Red blood cells) and prepare the defibrillator!" My assistant for this emergency surgery shouted at one of the nurses.

I first tried to get the women's heart to start pumping again. I pressed down on her chest pushing, trying to jump-start her heart to pump blood and oxygen.

"We're losing her! She's still losing too much blood! We can't stop the internal bleeding or we'll kill the baby." The same nurse shouted looking anxious and I'm guessing feeling hopeless.

In times like this being a doctor not only means saving lives but to be a leader in times of crisis and apparently nervous breakdowns. Everyone was panicking and I can't seem to find a reason not too. So I shouted.

"Ok, everyone stop!" And everyone did what I said. I took in a couple of deep breaths, in which everyone mirrored me and collected themselves in those quick few dangerous seconds. "Start the defibrillator, please," I instructed. If any sane doctor saw what I just did they would surely call it unethical, but in my point of view, I had no choice. My team was in a mess and no one, not even the smartest people on the planet can think straight and make good, ethical reasons with a bunch of bumbling idiots scurrying in the room.

Don't call me mean for using the terms idiots. Sometimes.. we just are.

Everyone started to calm down and await my next instructions. This is the thing about me. Whenever panic gets to me, I take a few deep breaths and start to analyze the situation. This is just how I work. My team knows the consequences of having me as their lead doctor but I always make sure that one thing is for certain, I never lose my patients.

"200 joules. Clear!" I shouted.

Nothing.

"Again! Clear!"

Nothing. Come on now...

"300 joules." The sound of the pads charging up was the only sound in the room.. well with our labored breathing as well. "Charging, clear!"

*beep... beep ... beep*

Sighs of relief resounded from all of us.

"How about the baby?" I ask.

"The plus is weak so I suggest doing a C-section and put the baby in the incubator since the baby's taking all the nutrition, the mom won't have much to recover and we will be supplying heavy medication for her. The baby can't handle it." My assistant logically explains and looked towards me for the sign of an "ok".

"You're going to be a great doctor Evan but make sure the mother gets extra vitamins and meds to speed up the healing. Now the baby will be fine we need to find and stop the internal bleeding."

Everyone nods and I looked at Evan and saw him staring at me.

'You've embarrassed him.' I sighed and knew that after this surgery I would have to talk to him. All doctors and doctors-to-be are very.... touchy, let's just say. They don't like their opinions and actions questioned. They think people who ask questions, question their abilities.