Chapter Thirty Six

"Her mother saved me."

The world spun, my head ached, someone was attacking my shoulder. The person spun me towards them. The green eyes quickly told me who it was. Kyle.

He wrapped his muscular arms around me, and I could barely hug him back.

I was still confused, shocked, and any other feeling that fit into the category. Here Kyle was, dressed like a doctor, wearing gloves, and nearly lifting me off the floor just to hug me.

Joe and Luis had been standing there like dummies, and the audience was the group of people decomposing dead bodies, the people stood there with their eyes wide and some were whispering.  

Beverley managed to push past the group, and so did Sammy. I broke from Kyle's arms and wrapped my arms around Sammy. A soft squeak left her mouth and she just stood there while I broke into tears.

Even though my sister didn't know who I was, and didn't remember.. she was still my sister at the end of the day.

I had forgotten the whole reason we had come to the warehouse of death. Oh yea, to find Hunter, who was hugging his sister, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"Back to work!!" A man shouted, slamming the door open. "If there are anymore hold-ups, I'm moving some people down the line!"

Everyone scrambled. "I-I have to go now!" Sammy whispered, and ran off behind Beverley.

"Sam-" she was gone, and now Kyle was walking away too. "Kyle!" I whisper. He quickly turns, "It's not the last time you'll see us again." I tell him. His lip twitches and he turns his back to me. I didn't call aft him. He hadn't said a word to me, he had just hugged me but hadn't said anything.

Joe and Luis were leading us out the doors, more confused than anyone else was probably. It was almost hard to leave, knowing my friends were in there. Half of my friends. Where were the others? Ricko, Lucy.... And Todd? Were they dead too? Or had they escaped?

Hunter was walking with us, his sister by his side. I caught up with Hunter, and I immediately remembered the girl's haunting words.

"Your mother saved my life."

"What's your sister's name?" I ask.

"Her name is Emily," Hunter tells me. The girl was staring at the dark ground as we walked towards our small camp. "You know sign language?" I ask.

"I never had a chance to really tell you... but yea.," Hunter says, staring at me.

"What did Emily mean when she said my mother saved her?" I ask Hunter. Hunter pauses and looks at Emily. "I'll have to ask her for you." He tells me.

The only thing I can do is nod and bite back the thoughts of my mother sacrificing herself. It wasn't bad to save others.. just knowing she was dead... is... sad.

I felt a pit form in the bottom of my stomach and as soon as we got back to the camp, I lied down, my shoulders slumping, and I tried to sleep, overhearing Hunter telling Miranda how to do sign language and Emily saying random things and waiting for them to respond back silently with hand signals.

My side began to ache with a strange pain when I realized I had been digging my nails into my side.

I lied with my back facing them, Jone was sitting in a folding chair behind me, and I didn't feel like talking to him. I felt like talking to no one, so I just stared into the darkness and closed my eyes, viewing the dark void behind my eyelids.

"Lara."

I sat up quickly, panting, and sweating. I was breathing harshly, my eyes scanning the dark area around me.