Don't Look Back

chapter54

"Niommi." I say, when we make it back to the same car we had stopped at. I sit on the hood of the car and notice the ribbon of smoke we had seen was still mingling with the night sky.

"Yes?" She asks, cleaning her arrows. "Is there anything you need to get?" I ask, wanting to hint that Jim, whoever he was to her.. was left behind but her answer seems to surprise me. "No," she says, and continues working. "Jim?" I asked, swinging my feet back and forth.

"I can't go back. They'd kill him. He has to escape on his own now."

"Isn't he your brother?" I ask, surprised.

"He is... I don't want him to die. If I go back, they'll know I saved you. He's going to escape soon.. tonight." She tells me. "We should help him.. I mean.. you've been helping me out this whole time. I've endangered you." I say, staring at my hands in the dark.

There's a long silence and then I hear a slice and a thud. Niommi had killed a walker. The walker let out another groan as it died. She turns to me, dark eyes endless with what seemed like thoughts.

"We go. By morning."    

••••••••

My leg was killing me by the next day. I had been walking for hours, slicing walkers, and drinking the water we had. I hadn't eaten, neither of us had. "How far?" I ask patiently.

"We're almost there," Niommi says, dunking a branch. I do the same, my foot tangling with the roots of a thick tree. I barely keep myself from falling. The trees begin to clear out, the cabin coming into view behind the thin withered trees. It was a small cabin, with two floors, and what looking like a small garage... besides it. A car... "could we get the car?" I ask, limping to a nearby rock and crouching beside it.

"We get Jim... Going for the keys would be too much. After all, Barla is still in there."

Barla... I grit my teeth and force myself to stand. That insane lady. I remembered the terrible night, being forced to sit at the dinner table.

"Let's go." I say, and began to stroll towards the house as if I'm gonna just simply knock on the door and say "Hey we need your car keys and Jim," But no, I didn't know what would I do, all I know is that Niommi grabs my arm and drags me to the garage.

I simply follow and notice how I couldn't see inside the windows. All I saw was wood, which indicated it was heavily boarded.

She opens the garage door, her hands quick, almost making no noise. I follow her in. The truck is a big rusty blue truck, but still. It was a truck. I hadn't been in a car in a long time and it was something everyone in the apocalypse could use.

There was a door leading into the cabin, I knew we were heading there next. Well, not we. Because Niommi opens the truck door and whispers "Hide."

"What if something happens?" I ask, and we both know this was way too simple for Niommi alone. I would probably slow her down.

"Why don't I get the keys?" I suggest. Her eyes brighten. I actually gave a good idea for once. I wanted to pat myself on the back.

".... in the basement," she says.

"Ok... let's go," I say, my legs felt wobbly. We silently and quietly open the cabin door, and it creaks. I hear 80's music playing and a low hum and the sound of something frying.

"Niommi?" I hear the southern voice like it's an alarm, my body tenses as I grip the drawer for balance. "Back already?" She calls.

"Yes," Niommi calls back and pretends to set something down by slamming her palm against the table against the wall.