Chapter Fourty Nine

Suddenly, a door in the kitchen bursts open and I can barely turn my cramped neck to see, but I catch a glimpse of what stumbled in. I hear a gasp and a man with a gray beard stumbled in. He was bent over, coughing, and his neck was bleeding. Then I noticed his neck, it had a familiar look... As if he had been bitten.

Barla gasped from behind me. "Oh no Norman, he's been bitten!" Barla cries, and the pregnant girl looks up, however she didn't have the same reaction, she didn't panic.

"Talor!! Help me get him to the room!! Fred!! Grab the medicine bag!!" Barla orders. Talor hesitates and she slowly stands, she was a short lady, I noticed. She takes Newman's arm and lets his arm dangle over her shoulder. They helped him into the room, Fred hopping behind them holding a red bag, and humming vaguely. 

Wells was staring at me strangely, as if angry. The whole table was silent, Niommi would keep looking up at me, and Jim stayed focused on the table. I was thinking, thinking of what was happening out there. Outside. Where was I? How far from the city? I knew I was near the woods because when the door had opened, I had saw trees. It's dark.. I took mental notes.

I tried to look behind me, I saw a small living room but my cramped neck screamed for me to give up. The floor was wood boards, stained with red... I didn't want to assume it was blood. The wall was painted an ugly dark red with a mix of brown. After minutes, finally Talor and Fred came back in and Talor seated herself, and so did Fred.

Talor was smiling. Her eyes welled with tears and she laughed. "He's gone." She tells Wells. Wells didn't say anything, he just stared at me. Barla came back, wiping her now blood-stained hands on an apron. My jaw hangs open, and it comes out as a mumble, but I am able to speak louder. "You murderers." I blurt when I get the hint, They killed whoever that man was. Barla sighs, and a light-hearted laugh leaves her lips. Talor had a guilty look on her face, and she looked at me.

"Talor is the real killer." Barla accuses and smiles. "She didn't love her husband..." Talor opens her mouth to say something, but she is cut off. That was her husband? That old man? Talor looked young like she was 19. I felt sick, my stomach was cramped up, my eyes were burning and my head hurt.

"Can we make Talor decide if bluebird gets to try the meal? It would kill the bluebird if she said no, cause bluebird has to get her tummy full." Fred says, bouncing in his chair and his brown hair bounced with him.

"Of course!" Barla says, smiling like it's the best idea, I was too confused. Talor looks at me and I shake my head, I didn't want to eat whatever was on that tray. "I want her to eat it." Talor snaps, her eyes washed over with hatred. "Make her," Talor says, her voice thick with everything but mercy.

Confused, I began to shake my head. Barla smiles and grabs a slab of the meat from the dish. "Eat it." Fred chants, slamming his fist on the table at a rhythm. "Eat it! Eat it!" Wells cheers on.

"No... what is that?" I ask, and Barla forces my head back, her fingers grasping my throat. "Please.." I say, Barla grabs my chin and forces my mouth open and I fight back, but my body was taped to the chair.

The meat touches my lip and I cringe, trying to avoid it. Barla's finger was on my lip now as she tried to place the food into my mouth. I close my eyes tight, and I bite down as hard as I could on her finger, grinding my teeth on her finger, and Barla curses angrily, jumping back.

The meat slips into my mouth and I panic as the taste fills my mouth, I spit the meat on the table and gag. "You stupid child," Barla growls, holding her own hand away from me as if I were a monster.

She slaps me across my face, the sound was louder than the pain, and then I close my eyes tight as the burning fades back and forth. Barla cursed, holding her hand. Her finger was bleeding as she pressed a dishcloth against it.

I hoped I had bit her finger off, but that wasn't the case, because Barla slapped me again. Wells began to laugh, and so did Talor.

"Well look who's laughing," Barla says, glancing over at Talor. Talor's smile fades. Barla began to untape me, and then she forced me up, I couldn't stand, so I slumped into the chair. My leg wasn't in shape to move. It was useless to try to run, or move, or even fight.

"Doesn't Talor just make you mad?" Barla asks, grabbing my hands. "I want you to slap her across the face," Barla tells me.

I look at Talor, who had a solemn look on her face now. I shake my head, and Barla gasped as if surprised. "What? But honey, she made me try to make you eat that delicious food." Barla says.

I'd rather slap you. I thought to myself.

"Do it," Barla growls and helps me stand. I don't try to stand, which makes it harder for her to help me. She helps me to Talor's chair and Talor seems to be waiting for me slap her. "Do it now.. or I'll kill her." Barla threatens, "I'll kill that little baby in her stomach." Barla whispers, looking at me with huge eyes.

I didn't know Talor.. she was a stranger. I didn't know what she had been through. Why she had been through it. I wasn't angry, I was afraid.

I raised my hand and slapped the woman across her face, putting less effort than she was waiting for. She winced, and her mouth hung open. Wells laughed, and Fred did too. Talor's face was red, and she was clutching the arms of the wooden chair and her head was bowed so that her hair hung over her red face. I could barely react, She stood and slapped me as hard as she could, and I fell to the floor.

"Are you gonna let her beat you?!" Barla provokes Talor. I bite my lip, closing my eyes, to prove that she wouldn't make me do anything else anymore.

A kick is sent to my side and I curl up into a ball, clutching my fists.

"Punishment!!" I hear the little kid named Fred chant. Another foot hits my back and I crumple to the floor, limp.

I had given up. I closed my eyes as the pain kept coming, endlessly, until it seemed to be number than affecting.