Chapter Twenty Two

My eyes shot open when I heard the music. A radio? A radio of some sort? More people?! I sat up beside Hunter, who was driving. I hit my head on the seat so fast that Hunter hit the brakes.

Hunter raised a hand for me to be quiet.

"Please!" The voice said.

"My name is Lola Arringhall, and I'm with my group, we are trapped in the radio station, in Lakewood town! Please..." The female voice shouted.

I and Hunter looked at each other. The radio lost connection, and I quickly adjusted the knob.

"Please! If anyone is out there!" They say. The radio loses connection again. I look at Hunter. "We have to help them," I say.

••••••••••••••

"We can't save everybody," Jone says.

"Why are you like this?!" I ask.

"Listen." He says, cutting me off. "This is the last time we take anyone else in." He says, staring at me with dark brown eyes.

"Fine," I mumble.

We decided to make camp at a small gas station, the store was empty, however. I sat down on a small chair and opened the small bottle of water, that Hunter gave me not to long ago.

Beverly stumbles out of the van, Marvin behind her.

"We want to know where we are going." She says.

"So far, LakesWood," I say, as she stands in front of me, holding Marvin's arm. She raise an eyebrow, "Ghost town? Radio station hills? Why?" She asks.

"Someone there needs help," I said. She looks at Marvin. "Fine." She whispers annoyed at him.

"Could you please take us to the safe zone?" She asks.

"That's where we are headed, next," I mumble.

"We can't wait that long!" She shouts.

"Then walk." A voice says, and we turn to see Lucy standing there. Beverly shoots me an angry glare, and she walks back to the van.

Lucy tugged at her choker and snickered. Jone steps out of the gas station and walks to the van.

"Leaving in 3 min." He calls to the group.

We all pile back into the van. It was already getting dark. The van started down the empty highway, of cars that just sat there, motionless.

I was sitting on the small seat of the huge traveling van, looking out the blinded window. Everything was different. Kyle was sitting beside me, staring at his fingers, Ali was reading a book, Lucy was filing her black painted fingernails, Ricko was sleeping but holding his gun, Marvin, Todd, and Ali were all sitting on the other small seat just causally staring out the window.

Hunter and Jone decided to take the driver seats.

The van pulled to a stop, and Jone pulled the curtain back. "It's your turn." He says, waving me over. I stand, and we both trade spots.

"Stay awake." He reminds. I roll my eyes and nod. I sit in the driver seat and look over at Hunter, who was sleeping. It was already dark, the headlights cast over the fields. It was scary. Driving was easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part. Was driving while walkers walked around.

I sighed and sat up straight and began to drive.

After 15 minutes of driving, I checked the map and sighed. My eyes felt heavy. I tapped my fingers on the staring wheel, and saw the walkers on the side of the road, their attention drawn to the van. Too bad the van was too fast for the slow one to chase.

I closed my eyes but quickly opened them. Stay awake... I told myself.

"Hi."

I jumped and hit the brakes. Ali was standing behind the curtains. She sat on the van floor beside me, as I calmed myself, and kept driving.

"Why aren't you getting sleep...?" I ask, forcing a yawn down.

"I couldn't... I never sleep anymore.." She says. I looked in the mirror and saw her sad face.

"What do you remember?" I blurt. "Remember what?" She asks, looking up.

I drove past an abandoned police car, "Before the apocalypse started." I say.

"I don't remember anything. But just waking up. In a store that was boarded up." She whispers.

"And... I remember the walkers... And how Marvin saved us." She says.

I nod. "So.. That's all you remember..?" I ask, finally yawning.

"I think.." She whispers, looking down. I nod. She goes back behind the curtains.

"Lara." A deep voice says. Kyle was standing behind the curtains now. "It's my turn to drive."

"Ok."