Chapter Fifty Three

"Let's go and get the medicine.." Niommi says, helping me up. I force a nod, and then she notices my bleeding shoulder.

Dread falls over her face. "Niommi-" she backs away. "You're.. you.. you got bitten?" She asks.

"Oh! No.. no... Wells.. h-he bit me." I explain. Niommi seems relieved, and so am I because I thought she was about to put me out of my misery.

She sighs and removes her backpack and removes the last thick bandage from it. She helps me wrap the wound, and I sigh as we keep moving, backtracking to where I was hiding behind the trash can.  

"What if they are still in there?" I ask, looking at the door. "I don't hear anything," Niommi explains and kicks open the door. The door swings backward and we began walking in. A bunch of dead men scattered the medicine store.

Each one had a bullet hole in the back of their heads, laying in collapsed forms. Niommi grabs their ammo, Niommi must've killed them all while Wells was trying to kill me... I'm proven wrong when Niommi clears her quiet voice. "Someone killed these men."

"I thought you killed them..." I say. She shakes her head, "I aim for the knees and the torso." She explains, touching the strange cloth on the ground.

We both hear a groan and our heads snap to the back of the medicine store. A man lied there, and a walker was peered over him, chewing hungrily on his arms. The man was wearing a mask. I cover my mouth, and Niommi looks over at me. She grabs her now and arrow and kills the walker and it collapses on the man. The man grunts. "He's dying." She says.

We walk towards him, I was taking hesitant steps. Niommi leans down and takes the mask off. It wasn't the man that attacked me and locked me in the room. This man was older, and his eyes had already blanked out and he had died. "Mask people." I blurt. Niommi raises an eyebrow, and I sigh. She didn't know who they were, and how much trouble they had been causing.

"They are a group of a people with masks on... they attack everyone." I say, "They attacked the last camp I was at.. my friend.. he decided to stay behind..." I tell her. Niommi nods and slings her backpack over her shoulder.

"They call themselves the Smoke." She says, looking at the man lying on the floor. "A group that has been planning for the end of all humanity... Since it's happened, happening now... they've come out to finish wiping out humanity." Niommi says. I'm silent, my eyes drifting to the man. We both just stand there. So they really do want the world to end and be over with. Why not negotiate with us? They and the walkers seemed to be the biggest problem.

"Medicine is back there," Niommi says, motioning toward the back room... I nod and make my way towards the door, and Niommi slips the key into the white door. The door slowly creaks open. Niommi walks in first, and I trail in behind her. "I'll get the medicine. If there's anything else you need... don't hesitate to grab it." Niommi tells me and walks towards the back of the room full of aisles.

I look around, my eyes scanning the dark room. I walk over to what looked like candles that weren't lighted, there was a small stuffed bear beside the small area and a picture, sitting in the middle of the candles on the counters. I pick up the picture and struggle to see what was in the picture. It seemed obvious... I see a girl, that happened to be Niommi, smiling and hugging a short lady with black silky hair in a bun and a big smile. A boy, that looked identical to Jim, was the tallest in the picture... an arm around a little kid with a mob of black hair and a big smile.

"That was my family." I jump at the voice. Niommi was standing there. "I'm sorry," I whisper, placing the picture back.

She doesn't respond but begins stuffing a bottle of painkillers in the bag.

"Let's go."