Philip De'Lesta

"There it is."

Tom couldn't help it – His mouth dropped.

The palace was low down in a lush valley hiding from the nearby town. The walls were a white stone that glistened in the summer sun and the roof was gold slate. Instead of the peaks in the roof, it had gold spiked towers instead. An open porch at the front was held up with most ostentatiously detailed pillars, painted in brilliant white. Inside there were no doors on the ground floor, only arches made of the purest marble.

The trees surrounded the caste like great armies defending their citadel. Their armoured trunks reached out in the air protectively. The great expanse of green enhanced the castles strength and beauty as its entrance ran over a fast flowing, deep river. Steadfast walls built for defence from an age that was defined by jealousy, greed and the love of power as much as honour, nobility and loyalty to the crown.

"This is where you live?" Tom asked quietly, overcome by the grandeur.

Esmeralda sighed in response. He turned to her quickly.

"Don't tell me you don't like it?" He hissed in shock.

"It think it's a bit much really." She said gently, watching through the window as the castle got closer and closer.

Tom shook his head and turned back to look.

"It's perfect."

Esmeralda snorted and waved her wand – the shield between them and Roberts vanished.

"As close to the entrances as you can Roberts."

"Yes My Lady."

As the car pulled to a halt, Esmeralda and Tom got out, the cold breeze waking them slightly from the tiredness of the drive. Roberts moved to get the luggage and Esmeralda grasped Tom's hand. He frowned at her and she rolled her eyes.

"I promise you I will not do this all the time. Philip knows we're 'together' so he'll expect us to act like it."

Tom growled slightly but made no comment as Esmeralda led him across the Stonebridge over the water and through the large white marble arch. Tom found himself standing in a court yard with steps directly before him leading up to the entrance of the castle. A red carpet flowed down the steps onto the stone floor, statues of angels lining the bannisters.

His admiring was cut short when the doors opened slowly, revealing a man dressed in a black and dark blue robe that flowed from his shoulders. His face was stern, yet peaceful as he made his way down the carpet. His face had the same high cheekbones as Esmeralda. He appeared slender despite his years, not at all stooped. Around his eyes were laughter lines; Tom guessed that he was often happy, but currently he was deadly serious.

Esmeralda let go of Tom's hand and ran to him. The moment she reached him, his face transformed into a bright smile, hugging her tightly as she laughed. Tom frowned slightly, he had never heard Esmeralda laugh like that. It sounded normal – she sounded free. Esmeralda dragged Philip over to Tom and she raised an eyebrow at him expectantly.

"Good afternoon Sir" Tom held out his hand, "I'm Tom Riddle."

Philip looked him up and down before taking his hand and shaking it.

"Philip De'lesta. I've heard a lot about you young man."

His voice was low and raspy, it vibrated through Tom's bones – the richness of his voice making him blink several times.

Tom glanced at Esmeralda in wariness but it seemed she only had eyes for her Godfather.

"I have but one question to ask you at the present moment young man..."