New Years Ball (Part 1 of 3)

Tom had to admit – Philip was one for exquisite grandeur.

The chandelier alone, which hung in the centre of the white celling, was probably worth more than the combined annual incomes of all the Hogwarts staff. It dripped with the best cut diamonds and was made from white gold. Esmeralda had informed him that Philip had commissioned it only a week ago, and that it was his new pride and joy. It made the gentle candle light dance across the ballroom, each colour slowly fading into another.

The varnished wooden floor shone cinnamon in the light, its surface smooth and perfect. White draped circular tables sat around the edges, leaving room for couples to dance under the chandelier. Each table had a crystal vase of red roses in the centre amongst the silver ware and silver goblets. Dark blue velvet curtains covered every high arched window, adding a sense of elegance to the ballroom.

Tom made his way slowly down the white marble stairs that led to the dance floor, his hand trailing slightly on the cold stone. The orchestra were practicing their music on the far side of the hall – The violins playing a soft melody that echoed gracefully through Tom's mind.

"Impressive don't you think?"

Tom nodded as Philip came stand beside him.

He was dressed in a flowing blue robe with a golden flowered pattern embroidered into the velvet fabric. The white shirt he wore underneath held a similar gold pattern with silver buttons. His grey hair was swept back, making his face more pointed than it usual was and Tom thought he looked very much like a gentleman of royalty.

"Not a big fan of the red roses but Esmeralda begged me for them. And I can hardly refuse her."

Tom frowned slightly. Red roses? Why would she ask for red?

"I know." Philip said, having noticed Tom's look, "But in saying that her father always brought Helena a red rose on her birthday... I can't understand that girl."

Tom smirked in agreement. He had a feeling that he knew her better than Philip but he was never going to tell him that.

"How are you feeling?" Philip asked in a much quieter voice.

Tom was still overwhelmed by the fact Philip hadn't judged him for creating a horcrux – He had encouraged it. Esmeralda didn't seem surprised in the slightest and it had made Tom wonder what the two had done in the past to make them so open and lenient of such dark magic. He suddenly felt strangely glad that Esmeralda had come to Hogwarts – He could have easily found out the information on his own... but she was so much more.

"I've been better." Tom replied.

Philip nodded once.

"You still look pale, but not pale enough for anyone else to pick up on. I must say, I'm impressed with the speed of your recovery."

Tom smirk widened – Another reason why he liked meeting Esmeralda, her godfather was a very clever man.

"When is everyone arriving?" Tom asked.

Philip made a noise that sounded like he couldn't care less.

"I'll be glad when this is over." He grumbled, "Oh and stay away from Pippin Spencer-Moon. He's going to die tonight and I don't want you being a suspect."

Tom raised an eyebrow at Philip, who narrowed his eyes.

"You've met him boy – He's supposed to marry Esmeralda. As if I'd let that happen." He growled.

"Anything I can do to help?" Tom inquired.

Philip laughed and clapped him on the shoulder.

"Thank you for the offer...Just keep Esmeralda away from him."