Choices from the Past

The clock seemed to move faster than it usually did. Esmeralda watched it, not quite sure how she felt about the situation. Whoever the lady was she either had no idea who she was playing with, or she knew and had prepared something deliberately and expertly.

"I'll be outside the door." Tom whispered as the class began to pack away their things.

Esmeralda nodded and remained still, not bothering to put away the paper before her, it had no relevant work on it anyway. Should her mask be defensive or sweet and humble? Esmeralda toyed between the two before deciding to be a blank slate and see what 'Amelia' had to say. As the last person, which happened to be Tom, left the classroom, Esmeralda stood and walked towards the Lady.

As she did, she failed to hear the familiar click of a shut door. Forcing down a smile, Esmeralda felt her confidence grow slightly. Tom really would come to defend her and the first sign of trouble.

'Amelia Greengrass' lifted her head, her black bob sitting perfectly by her ears, un-moving. Esmeralda fleeting wondered it it was a wing before she remembered that it could probably be thought about later.

"I am guessing my dear Esmeralda, that you know I am not a 'Greengrass'."She said, her voice echoing sharply in her ears, still looking down at a book before her.

"And why do you presume that?" Esmeralda asked cautiously, her annoyance growing as the lady refused to look at her.

The lady let out an empty laugh and turned the page of her book. But Esmeralda could tell she wasn't reading, her eyes remained fixed on the same spot, as though she was focused intently on the conversation.

"You are your mother's daughter, of course it is only right to presume you know things." She said offhandedly, as if it ment nothing.

Esmeralda narrowed her eyes, suddenly defensive. This woman had known her mother, and therefore knew her...

"Who are you?"

The lady rose slowly, she was the same height as Esmeralda even in her heels. Her piercing blue eyes finally met Esmeralda's gold ones and the lady almost looked captivated.

"My real name is Amalia... I come because Dorian has an offer to make with you." was the reply she got.

Esmeralda's stomach lurched at the sound of his name but she rolled her eyes, turned and walked away from her, trying to look as disinterested as possible.

"I don't make deals with people." Esmeralda snapped as she picked up her bag.

"Even though your Godfather's life is at stake?" Her voice chimed.

Esmeralda turned back around and looked Amalia up and down. She appeared fragile and yet if Dorian had sent her she was obviously capable. But why give away her fake persona by handing her a fake letter? What was her motive?

"Last I heard Grindelwald had him, not Dorian." Esmeralda said quietly, watching her every move.

Amalia moaned in fake annoyance, her right hand twitching at her side, giving away the positioning of her wand before she stood up, throwing the book aside. Esmeralda smirked, rookie mistake.

"You stupid girl, have you never considered the fact they might be working together?" she taunted.

Esmeralda snorted.

"Dorian work with someone else? The world must have changed." She sneered, crossing her arms.

Amalia began to walk towards her, slowly and calculating. To others, it may have been frightening, but to Esmeralda it was merely a childish attempt to scare her. And it wasn't working.