Horcruxes and The Christmas Ball (Part 1)

"You know if you walk any slower I'm going to turn you into a snail."

Tom snarled and quickened his pace so he was walking next to Esmeralda. She didn't need to know he been staring at her-

Tom coughed and widened his eyes - Not here, not now.

"Why are you so quiet this morning?"

Tom's eyes snapped to hers.

"I don't know Esmeralda. Maybe it because of what you did yesterday?" He hissed.

Surprise gripped him when she dropped her head.

"I'm sorry. I - Sometimes I just can't seem to control myself." She mumbled.

Tom's eyes widened - She was ridiculously bipolar.

"Teach me how you did it." Tom commanded.

She lifted her head and raised an eyebrow.

"But of course your highness." Esmeralda mocked with a grin.

She stopped by some big oak doors: Tom noted how similar they were to the great hall doors of Hogwarts. She touched the door lightly, stepping back slightly as it glowed before swinging open. Tom could have sworn his heart stopped.

The library of Hogwarts seemed like a bookstore compared to Esmeralda's library. The books created each wall, row after row, all neatly lined up, all in alphabetical order, all hard-backed. The bookshelves seemed like they would collapse any moment under the pressure of the numerous coloured books and files stuffed into them. There were three sections all separated by balconies -Bronze and blue twirled metal stairs cases ran up to the second and third balcony, giving someone permission to explore all the book that sat by the ceiling. 

 The furniture was high end and bespoke. Every piece was hardwood and spotless, but everything seemed very old, like it was from another era. The fabrics were delicate and dark blue with bronze wood - coordinating with the spiral staircases. It looked comfortable and plush. Sitting there for polite conversation seemed like a hard feet when it was obvious the moment you sat down you would sink into the fabric.

The windows were the only gaps in the walls of books - Huge and sparkling - gold edges holding the glass arches together.  Tom was surprised about how big they were; The birds traveled past, buffeted by the winds that whistled through the tower, as if to remind Tom that he was very high up.The slightly frosted windows casted an array of diffused swirls onto the white marble floor, giving it the impression of being a small shimmering sea in the early winter light.

"Impressive right?"

Tom smiled at Esmeralda. Her gaze softened before she rolled her eyes. 

"There are books here that hold information about every student at Hogwarts... But the book you want should be up on the third balcony... over there." 

She pointed to the far side of the library, right at the very top of the shelves on the third balcony. 

"Just remember that you cannot take it out of the room or you'll get cursed." She said before turning and walking back out the room.

"Won't you stay?" Tom asked before silently cursing himself. Why did he sound so needy? She was turning him into some pathetic hormonal teenager.

"Philip wants me to try on dresses for the Christmas and New Years ball. I'll be back in an hour."

He nodded and turned back to where Esmeralda had pointed. 

"Oh and make sure you put the book back." Esmeralda shouted from the hallway as an after thought.