Helena Fray

Esmeralda paced the hallway, ignoring the look Philip was giving her.

Tom had left early that morning after she'd told him the whereabouts of his family. She'd begged him to let her go with him, but he had rather forcefully told her that it was his duty, not hers, to kill his own family. That didn't concern her - Killing was the easy part. It was what he would do afterwards that bothered her.

Tom was going to make his first horcrux. He knew how to do it but she was concerned about his safety. No the soul splitting - He'd survive that. She was afraid he'd collapse on his own, and if or when if he came back, would he be the man that had left this morning? She hoped, perhaps father foolishly, that he wouldn't become cold and harsh like Dimitri had... but then cold and harsh was already in Tom's nature.

Stupid Slytherin... Why couldn't he have been a sucker for Pizza instead of Mudbloods? Then she wouldn't even have this problem.

"Pacing won't do anything other than wear out my velvet rug you know." Philip said from the marble staircase where he was sitting watching his Goddaughter.

"I'll make sure to apologize to it later." Esmeralda snapped.

Philip sighed.

"You need to take that stupid glamour off, its making you exceptionally temperamental." He snarled, not impressed by her sarcasm.

She stopped and turned to look at him.

"You know bloody well that I can't take it off. Father would-"

"He's not here. And when has he ever been in charge of you?" Philip interrupted looking at her fiercely.

"He's not, I just-" Esmeralda broke off and ran her fingers through her hair, pulling it in frustration.

"Don't tell me you're worried about what Tom will think?" Philip suddenly jeered, "He's off to make a horcrux and you're worried about your hair being white. "

Esmeralda scowled.

"Its not just that Philip. The glamour is holding back my natural magic - Its stopping me from loosing control."

Philip stood up and began to walk towards her.

"As I recall, I liked you more when you were more of a bitch." He muttered.

Esmeralda smiled at him, feeling slightly more calm when he returned it. She closed her eyes and let the silence surround her. It caressed her skin like a cool summer breeze, smoothing her mind, taking away the fragmented edges. It had already been one hell of a rough day.

"Just so you know, everything is prepared."

She opened her eyes and her blue and gold eyes met his gold ones.

"Good. We need to give a good impression to the Minister... and father." She responded with a small sigh.

Philip snorted.

"Screw them Es, I meant Pippin."

AH yes.

Esmeralda giggled.

"So when it the little brat going to have the most horrible heart- attack?" She asked with a quirk of her lips.

"Why Esmeralda, when we are furthest away of course - We simply cannot be blamed." His gravely voiced laughed slightly as he spoke.

"Oh how tragic" Esmeralda said, feigning sympathy.

Philip snorted.

"You'll need those superb acting skills my dear. We can be nothing but victims."