Chapter 10 - Into the Abyss

"Hey, it's you!" Mei exclaimed, walking up towards the dog. From the time of their separation, the puppy had grown. What a coincidence that we meet again, Mei thought, reaching down to stroke the dog's soft fur. "I have grown, and so have you. Now, where should we go?"

The dog barked and trotted down another corridor. Mei sighed and followed it. "It seems that wherever I go, I bring death and disaster onto people." At the sentence, the dog looked at her curiously. Something gleaming in the torchlight caught her eye. The girl picked up the object, and looked at it under the light.

"A sword?" Mei muttered, taking the scabbard off. She had seen them before, when the armies were battling, but she had never held one in her life. Mei waved it around in the air, watching it gleam, then put it back in its scabbard and tied the belt around her waist.

She continued walking. The passageway ended, and in front of Mei was an intricate, wooden door. The girl grasped the heavy, wooden handles, and pulled. The door opened inwards, and she entered, the dog following close behind.

The room was completely dark. Mei heard the door close with a thud. Suddenly, as if she had done something, the torches lit up by themselves and flared, engulfing the room in torchlight. The room was circular, Mei noted, with another set of doors on the other side. She looked around the room.

"Oh, great," Mei muttered. In the middle of the room, was a huge, sleeping lion- but not an ordinary lion. It had two heads- one that was a lion, and the other was a goat's head. The tail of the creature glistened in the torchlight, scaley and slimy. Luckily for her, it was still asleep, and Mei had no plans to wake it up.

The dog whined. "Shh," Mei whispered, "let's see if we can go back." She turned around and pushed at the door, but to no avail. There was no handles on her side, and the door had opened inwards. "Well, I guess we just have to go through the other door." She tiptoed past the monster, watching the lion's ear twitch slightly, and grasped the handle of the door, pulling it.

The door creaked. The monster stirred. Mei pulled harder, and felt her heart drop, as the monster woke from its slumber and roared, flicking its tail towards Mei and knocking her to the ground.