Chapter 1: Snake Lady Visits me in Manhatten

Lio Soul gracefully twirled in the ballroom in her new red dress. It was a fashion that came out a month ago on May 12, 1951. She had gotten it for her seventeenth birthday, yesterday. She was said to be the most beautiful girl in Manhattan, known for her startling raven black hair and pale blue eyes. Everybody either loved her or envied her, but she didn't really care. She turned and walked outside for some fresh air. Honestly, she was bored with this life. Playing to this game. Sometimes she thought she might be a psychopath. Playing to people's feelings, and not having any at all. Her friend Saffron ran up to her, tripping over his feet.

"We have to go," Saffron said.

"Why? Do you think the lighting is poorly done? I would agree. There isn't a lot of balance, and it's too bright," Lio said with the slightest hint of sarcasm.

"This isn't a joke! You are in danger!" Saffron exclaimed.

"I know! There are so many dorks at this party! There can't be dorks at the same party as me," Lio said, this time with a lot of sarcasm.

"Monsters are looking for you. They want to kill you, but there's a camp you can go to. It will keep you safe."

Lio laughed "The dorks want to kill me?" At that, a half snake, half lady thing came out of the forest, hissing. Lio swore. "I believe you! Let's get out of here, Saffron!" Lio ran to her car, Saffron on her heels.

"Get in the car, Saffron!" They both got in the car and started driving away, the snake lady following closely

"She's gaining!" Saffron yelled. Lio took off one of her sparkling silver heels, and threw it out the window, impaling snake-lady's face. Snake-lady wailed, and turned into dust.

"Who was that lady?"

"Echidna," Saffron replied. "How did you kill her like that?"

"There are bronze spikes on the heels of all of my shoes."

"All those times you've threatened to kick me with those..."

"Hey, I told you it would hurt. A lot."

"There's a new meaning to that phrase too. Turn out here."

Lio turned out, climbed out of the car, and closed the door.

"Lamia!" Saffron yelled from the car. Lamia charged Lio and she dodged. She stabbed Lamia with her hatpin, but it had no effect.

"I need a knife!" Lio yelled. Saffron tossed a glowing bronze knife to her, keeping his distance. Lio dodged Lamia's attack again, and stabbed her in the back.

"I feel safe already," Lio said sarcastically. "Quite the Fat City."

"Look, all I ask is that you come down, and talk to Chiron." Saffron said pointing to a baby blue barn by some strawberry fields, after coming out from behind the car.

"Fine," Lio said, walking down the hill.