Chapter 16 - I Show Up on the Face of the Earth, for Once

"Am I good enough yet?" Mei panted, turning her jian sword back into a hairpin. She looked around, at the bones that lay scattered across the floor. Hades grudgingly nodded.

"Nico has already informed Chiron about your arrival." Mei smiled, and held up the hairpin. "Keep it, as a gift from me, for a century of missed birthdays."

"More like a millennium," Mei scowled, but nonetheless, she weaved it into her hair. "Well then, I guess thank you," she muttered. Hades nodded, and Mei yelled, "Prince Franklin!" The hellhound barked and stood next to her, as she put her hand on his back and closed her eyes.

The world spun around her as if she was flying, soaring, and she pictured, in her mind, strawberry fields and a house. Soon, she felt solid ground underneath her shoes and smelled the sweet scent of strawberries. Mei squinted in the over bright light, as she made her way towards the house, Prince Franklin the hellhound following her.

A man in a wheelchair was waiting for her. "I'm Chiron," he said, introducing himself.

"I'm called Mei," the girl said. Chiron frowned. "Nico told me that your name was Jenny Chen." Mei- or Jenny, scowled. That bastard changed my name? Oh well, it's a new time, so a new start would be nice.

"That's fine. My name is Jenny, then. What is the date??" Chiron looked at her curiously.

"Well, today is the fifth of November. Welcome to Camp Half-Blood. You'll stay with the Hermes cabin until your parent claims you."

"I already know my parents. They died, so a guy came and told me to come here when I was ready," Jenny muttered.

"Was he, by any chance, a satyr?"

"Well, he didn't have goat legs. And he was tall."

"I take that you don't understand much about your current situation. You see, this is a camp for people with gods as their parents. Since you're here, and the hellhound is following you, I assume that you're a demigod. If you're lucky, then at the campfire tonight, you'll know who your godly parent is."

"I've been told all of this before, but I'm still not sure whether to believe it or not." Jenny admitted. "I also don't have any belongings."

"Well, I'm sure the Hermes cabin will help. Here, I'll show you the way." Chiron wheeled himself towards a cabin full of people. Most of them were blonde, but they all wore disturbingly orange t-shirts.

"Hey," one kid said, "you'll be staying with us." As Prince Franklin followed her into the room, the children shuddered. "Where did you get that dog from?" one of them asked. Jenny shrugged.

"Could you get some supplies for her?" Chiron asked. A boy nodded, and extended his hand in front of Jenny. She looked at it, and shook it, smiling at how perfectly she was following the guidelines from the book, "Manners for Gentleman". Just a firm grasp, she thought, and let go.

"What do I do now?" Jenny asked.

"Well, we're supposed to meet at the campfire in the evening, but since it's afternoon, I guess you could walk around the place."

"That sounds good," Jenny admitted, looking forward to seeing the forest. "Come on, Prince Franklin," she yelled. The hellhound followed her, and she walked into the woods. A large pine tree, on the other side of the camp, caught her eye, and Jenny walked towards it.

"Why is it here, not with the other trees?" she wondered. "Is it lonely?" Suddenly, Prince Franklin barked, and she looked at the pine tree. A child was running, but there was something behind her. A hellhound? Jenny dashed up the hill, and yelled, "It's so adorable!" as she ran towards it.

"Sit!" Jenny ordered, and the hellhound complied, wagging its large, fluffy tail. The girl grinned, and stroked the soft ears. "What are you doing here, so far from home?" she wondered, as it stood up and paced back and forth, before Jenny reached out and touched it, sending it back to the Underworld.

A girl suddenly ran out of the tree, not noticing her. This place is strange, Jenny thought as she sat down, partially hidden by the tree, watching the little kids make a commotion. Then, she finally noticed the child.

What a terrible day for her, she thought, as she watched the child being carried away.