Part Twelve

Black boots slammed the floor as they strode towards the throne room. It was late, but candlelight streamed from beneath the door. The Carminians had a tendency to work late into the night.

Queen Illizabella glanced up from her work. She and her husband were sitting at their desk a few feet away from their thrones. She heard the door open and the sound of footsteps scurrying towards her husband and her. A maid wearing a light red dress sprinkled with stains bowed at their feet.

"You have a visitor, your majesties," she told them, her words running. "He is at the door."

King Idriton rose to his feet. He left the desk and crossed the room, meeting George of Azure at the door.

"George," he said heartily, clapping him on the back.

"King Idriton," the pirate replied, nodding his head. "Queen Illizabella." Another nod.

The king gestured for the servant to pull up a spare chair for their guest. She obliged quickly before disappearing from the room.

Sitting down, George said, "You know I must ask. How much did you know about the Azurians' arrival?"

King Idriton leaned back as much as he could in his chair. George adjusted in his seat. He did not know how the Carminians tolerated such stiff, hard furniture. The Azurians were all about function when it came to their furniture, but nearly every other kingdom prioritized comfort. Even Ebony.

Especially Ebony.

The queen spoke up. "We knew the House of Cariad would be arriving for the young princesses' tour. They gave us the impression they would not be arriving for two weeks. When they dined with us, Queen Alena informed us they had to depart from Byankah much sooner than they anticipated. Apparently, the youngest daughter made quite a scene."

Veida. In the twelve years since her birth, rumors had circulated the world about her condition. From what George had heard, she had shared many of the same symptoms Markael did.

Markael. It had been years since he had seen his son. After Arrow's death, Markael left. Ashen had found him, but he refused to return. George hadn't blamed him, and he hadn't tried to find him either. He had been distraught after what happened. How could he blame Markael for feeling the same? How could he force such a young child to remain on the ship so near where his mother died? He now knew that had been a mistake. Unfortunately, that realization came far too late.

"I appreciate you giving me a warning," he said, keeping his face neutral. He could not afford to think about Markael.

Smiling, Queen Illizabella replied, "Of course. You and Arrowena meant very much to us. Her death changed nothing. In fact, it makes us cherish your daughter even more."

It took a good deal of patience to keep him from lashing out. The haphazard manner in which she brought up Arrow's death was insensitive at best. He knew it was nothing personal; Carminians were incredibly superficial. Most of them were also extremely selfish. To them, death meant very little. Still, their comment infuriated him more than he should have let it. He felt like a hypocrite after having urged Ashen to be patient with Inara.

Pretending to smile back, George told them, "I knew we could count on you. Which is why I must tell you that we are in a difficult situation as of late."

"How is this so?" King Idriton asked, leaning forward with interest. "You have always had a keen business sense, George."

Not that I would call piracy business, George thought. He inhaled deeply and slowly before continuing.

"Sailors are being more careful as of late," he explained, intentionally omitting any news of Emlen's death. Unless the Azurians had given them the information that night, they were completely unaware.

One of the benefits of having Carminians as allies, no matter how annoying they proved to be.

"And you have nothing saved?" Queen Illizabella inquired.

Shaking his head, George replied, "You know we keep next to nothing of what we acquire. We have exhausted nearly all of the supplies we did hold onto."

"Do you want us to offer a loan?" King Idriton asked. His wife gave him a stern look and his expression faltered.

They would not admit it nor speak of it, but George knew there was a rebellion brewing in Carmine. Some of the healers had voiced dissent over the past several years. They disliked being forced to serve their mortal monarchs, and some even lobbied for a bloody revolution followed by a dictatorship. According to some of the crew's sources in Ebony, Emlen had encouraged the movement. Thought he had died, rebels were still making plans. While Ileo and another healer tended to Ashe, they'd informed George and the crew of the recent attacks on the palace. One of the princesses—though they hadn't said whom—had nearly been killed.

George said none of this. The king and queen went to intensive lengths to keep the matter hushed. He intended to respect their wishes.

Watching them carefully for their reaction, George began, "Quite a few people in Ebony have expressed interest in certain artifacts in different nations. Items such as your amulet."

The queen did not flinch. "It has much value money wise, but we have more than enough in our banks."

Unless you are overthrown. George pushed that thought from his mind. He could not afford to think like that when Carmine was one of his only allies. Practically his only ally.

"I intend to offer something other than money," he stated. This statement warranted a reaction. The king looked hopeful, his wife skeptical. George continued, "I have an artifact that will draw only suspicion if we are to trade it to anyone else. We need that amulet for money, and you need this item for leverage."

The queen's eyes narrowed. "What know you of our private affairs?"

He had a decision to make. One way would involve revealing his knowledge of their little problem among the healers. The other would leave them suspicious and questioning.

Treading lightly, he said, "Arrow mentioned you have desired Azurian military aid for nearly a decade. First, it was the threats of Viridian conquest. Now . . . there are whispers of other things."

They exchanged glances. He carried on quickly, "I have something that could force the hands of the Azurian royal family."

"And that is?" the king asked. Holding his breath, George reached into the messenger bag he had slung over his shoulder. In his hand was an item usually confined to Ashen's locked drawer.

In his hand rested a crown, one meant for the Queen of Azure.

Arrow had taken it with her when she fled her husband. She had intended for it to be a permanent reminder to the royal family and her parents of what they had lost.

"You are willing to trade us that for the amulet?" Queen Illizabella asked incredulously.

Nodding, George said, "You can trade this for Azurian military support. They will have no choice but to comply."

"Threatening our allies is not in our way," the king said.

"I never suggested you threaten them," George reminded him. "I merely told you to offer it in a formal trade agreement."

"And how shall we explain our finding it?"

"My crew leaves tomorrow. Once we are gone, tell them the truth. Pirates traded it."

"What if they pursue you?" the queen asked. She sounded genuinely concerned.

"That is why I requested the head start," he admitted. "Perhaps you could wait a little longer after we leave. They will have no way of finding us if we are far enough ahead."

He held out the crown.

"So, do we have a deal?"