Like As The Waves Sample: The Little Mermaid Retold

-This is a sample from the seventh book in the Rivals Saga, Like As The Waves-

-Inara-

Princess Inara of Carmine stared at the ocean. Sapphire waves lapped against the sand. A few people were fishing off in the distance. The setting sun cast a purplish-orangish glow atop the water. For a brief moment, the princess considered slipping out of her sandals and wading out there. She stopped herself just in time. As good as it would feel to stand in the ocean, the water would ruin her dress.

The princess looked over the beach. Few people were out today. Carmine's hot climate made trips to the ocean a common excursion for most of her people. This side of the island was also very close to the palace. Young men visited frequently in hopes of spotting even one of the gorgeous princesses.

Princess Inara had heard that many kingdoms' royalty had not been blessed with good looks, but all four of her sisters were stunning. She was the prettiest; everyone said so. They called her the Jewel of Carmine.

Looking over the beach, she noticed a lovely young man fiddling with his canoe.his skin was more tanned than most of her people. Even from a distance, she could see his fingers were calloused. A fisherman-he was below her, of course. A lord or duke would have been a much more fitting match, but as the youngest of the princesses, she was permitted her dalliances.

"Hello there!" she called to him. She approached slowly-nonchalantly, she hoped. It took great care not to let her gaze fall to his arms or his bare chest; both were quite muscular. His face was fine enough, she supposed. At least she would not have to look at it while she kissed him.

"Your majesty," he said, standing so he could bow. She let him, taking note of his surprising grace. Perhaps he was not a fisherman. A foreigner, perhaps? His black hair, skin color, and dark eyes gave him the look of a Carminian, though she had been mistaken before.

Viridians looked so very much like her own people.

"What do you call yourself?" she asked him. She mentally practiced how she would smile when he told her. Men liked it when women smiled after they spoke; it made them feel important.

Men liked to feel important.

"Damien," he told her.

Flashing a dazzling smile, she said, "Damien, what a lovely name."

It did not sound much like a Carminian name, but it may have been pulled from somewhere else. It was possible he may have been of mixed blood. The princess resisted the urge to sneer at the mere thought.

"You are Inara, yes? The Jewel of Carmine."

"Princess Inara, yes."

"You are as exquisite as they say."

She smiled again. "I thank you."

"The truth requires no thanks."

He was right, but she thought it rude to say so.

Tilting her head, she pleasantly asked, "Would you like to kiss me now?"

"I would love-"

"Inara!"

The princess flinched. Damien whirled around. A young woman was marching down the beach towards them. Her black hair had been braided with white feathers and crimson ribbons. She wore a scarlet gown with a low neckline and exposed stomach. The hem of her skirt barely brushed the sand. Her sun-kissed skin and dark brown eyes would have been nothing extraordinary if not for her perfectly plump lips. They were a stunning shade of scarlet that day. Princess Inara ground her teeth.