Part Fifteen

Ashen heard a shoe scrape outside her door. She had awoken several hours before and had not been able to fall asleep again. Rather than risk seeing Smiegal, she remained in bed hiding. Breakfast was not an option either. Not with the Azures afoot.

Pushing away her covers, Ashen forced herself out of bed. She meandered to the door. Upon opening it, she found a small wrapped package lying at her feet. She lifted it from the ground precariously.

The door shut when she kicked it. She returned to her bed, where she sat to rip open the packaging. A note fell onto her lap.

This outfit suits you, so leave mine alone.

There was no doubt Inara had sent it. She was the only one who knew Ashen had taken her clothes. Besides, she'd said leave mine alone.

Did this mean the princess was not going to look into Ashen's secrets? What did the gift mean? Was it truly just a way to keep Ashen out of her closet? Ashen didn't know, and for the time being, she really didn't care.

Inside the scrapings of paper was a thin, long-sleeved red dress. The cuffs were black, as was the collar. The dress's buttons were gold plated. Ashen had to compliment the princess on this one. The dress had a pirate-esque style. It appeared to be functional—more of a tunic than a dress.

Ashen almost put it on before remembering it had been a day or so since her last shower. She did not want to ruin the nice gesture on Inara's part with body odor.

With somewhat reluctance, Ashen exited her room, taking her new clothes with her. There was a luxurious set of privies and bath stalls in the north wing, but Ashen chose the ones belonging to the servants. No chance of seeing her stepfamily there. Of course, she might see Smiegal, but she hoped he would not be awake at such an early hour.

A short, hot shower later, she dried herself off quickly and got dressed. If she was back before the others were awake, she could persuade one of the crewmembers—Stark, perhaps—to get breakfast. Oh what she wouldn't give for something good to eat.

Carminian food would have to do.

Just as she was returning, her father came out of his room. His drowsy face brightened visibly at the sight of her. Ashen grinned. He was getting better. That made every struggle worth it.

"Ashen," he said, "I have something I need to tell you."

She continued walking until she was inches from his face. His expression told her this was not necessarily a bad something, but he did not know how she would react.

Thinking of her late night talk with Inara, she replied, "I need to tell you something too."

His expression morphed into one of concern. "What is it?"

"Nothing too serious," she said.

"But you think it is," he noticed. She bit her lip. His worrying for her was a little annoying, but she was grateful he was paying attention to anything at all.

"Inara paid me a visit yesterday," she told him.

"Is that where you got the dress?" he asked. He squinted and peered down at her hair. "Your hair—is there a hint of black?"

"You know that spell I have been working on . . ." she began. He grinned. He actually grinned at her.

"It works, Ash?"

"Aye," she agreed. "I used it to sneak out and meet Ileo."

"For your healing session," he guessed. His grin faded. "Ashen, I completely forgot. I preparing for a meeting with Idriton and Illizabella—"