Part Twenty-Nine

"You followed us?" Ashen demanded. She did not pull out her sword, not yet. Doing so would require ripping off the bottom of her skirt, which would draw attention when she returned to the others. Most importantly, she was not about to have a duel with her brother in the room. Jonian couldn't fight, not even a little, and Ashen didn't know if Peder would stoop to threatening him. Or killing him.

"I thought I recognized you," he admitted. "So, I followed you, and I heard everything."

"Are you still going to kill me?" she asked. "After all you heard? He did not just murder Arrow. He butchered her."

"What exactly did he do?" Jonian asked her. He had not been there the day Arrow was killed, already having left the family for Sienna. She had never given him the details. She had not thought he would care.

Before Ashen could answer, Peder said, "You were never kidnaped by Captain George, were you?"

"Oh my, how did you ever guess?" she retorted sarcastically. "Now, follow me."

"What?" Peder asked, momentarily bewildered.

"If you want to fight me, verbally or not, we are not doing it in here."

"Worried I will go after your brother?" Ashen paled. "When I said I heard everything, I meant everything."

"And you still want to kill me?"

He shook his head. "Capture, incapacitate."

"Good," she said. "It gives me an edge."

In one motion, she ripped off the bottom of her gown, exposing her swords. She summoned them to her easily, although it took a little of her strength. Not as much as it would usually, though. She had been practicing.

Ashen charged Peder, driving him back into the hall. He brought up his sword to meet hers. She kicked his legs out from under him. As Peder got to his feet, she whirled back towards the door. A locking spell would—temporarily—prevent Jonian from coming to her aid. He wriggled the doorknob.

"Ashen," he gritted out. "What in bloody hell are you doing?"

"Stay inside," she said. She turned back to Peder barely in time to deflect his blade. She ducked a hit from his spare hand, which was clenched in a fist.

She tried to cast a strength spell, but Peder was on her too fast. There was no time. He was much faster in person, and his attacks were much harder to avoid and block. She managed to do so, though. Ducking and rolling whenever he tried to stab or kick her.

Ashen slashed at his shoulder. Peder was not able to deflect, too busy trying to swipe at her stomach area. Neither blow landed, Peder and she each leaping back before the other could get to them. It was annoying, though. Futile attacks took a good deal of energy, energy Ashen did not have to spare if she wanted to use any spells.

Peder kicked her in the ribs. Stumbling backward, she managed to cut his sword hand. He did not drop it, gritting through the pain, but it was still a hit.

When she ducked to avoid a slash at her neck, she noticed a spare sword strapped to his waist. Her eyes widened, then she grinned.

He had brought her sword with him.

She attempted to kick his legs out from under him. He jumped over her leg, but as he landed, she punched him in the nose.

"How did you manage to heal from last time?" she asked, jumping back as he swung his sword, barely grazing her chest plate. The screeching sound it made hurt her ears. His worse, she noticed by his expression. Fairies did often have superior hearing.