Chapter 22

I woke up in the middle of the night, covered in sweat. My shirt and pants clung to my hot body as I jumped down from the bed.

I ran a hand through my hair, pulling it off of my sticky face up into a ponytail. I began walking towards the bathroom while rubbing the tiredness away from my eyes.

I suddenly froze in place as I heard a soft noise.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

My eyes widened as I strained to hear better. My hands gripped some excess material of my pajama pants.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

I let out a shaky breath as I slowly made my way towards the bathroom, my feet sticking to the cool floor with every step.

I set a hand on the door frame as I hesitantly flicked the light switch on. My jaw slacked as my hands flew up to cover my mouth.

My throat felt as if it were on fire as I was screaming yet no sound erupted from my mouth.

The dripping was not from a faucet like I hoped it would be. No, it was only from Layla's blood dripping down the wall and into the bathtub.

She wore no shirt and there was now a sewn up cut in her side. But that wasn't the worst part of it all. No, the worst part was that her dead eyes were wide open in fear.

She didn't kill herself last night like we all thought she did. We left her outside, going to bury her in the morning. She made it look like she slit her throat. How...I don't know.

But she was not dead. He killed her. He came back and killed her.

•••

I ran outside with tears stinging my eyes. I tripped over tree roots, sobbing hard as I tried to get to Drew's cabin.

I fell to the ground, clutching my side as tears poured down my face. I heard someone say my name in a low whisper, making my head snap up.

Though my vision was blurry, I could still make out that familiar brown mask made of old human flesh.

I cried out, crawling back slightly before my back hit a tree. He only chuckled, making me cringe in fear.

"Don't be afraid, baby girl. I want to help you." He extended a hand towards me, making my sniffling stop.

I don't know if it was because I was still half asleep or because my side was throbbing in my ears, but I took his hand.

He pulled me up, making me stumble into him. I could actually hear him smirking through the thick material separating his face from the cool air.

"I want to show you something. I want to...give you a chance."

I just glanced up at him in confusion as I tightly held to him, walking down towards the ocean. It was then that I noticed it.

A boat.

I gasped loudly, my heart racing in my chest. He looked down at me while running a gloved hand through my hair.

"You like it?" He whispered as he lowered his face to mine. I only nodded in pure shock.

"W-why?"

"I love you. And I'm afraid that...I won't be able to control it anymore. I'll hurt you." He rasped, making my eyebrows furrow. "I want you to leave, get away from here."

"I-I have to get Drew and Harry and-" I got cut off as he gripped my arm, pulling me back into him.

"I don't think you understand, baby girl. I'm only letting you leave. The rest...are mine."

I quickly pulled away from him, tears still streaming down my face. "No...no, they have to leave too. I'm not leaving them."

"Hazel-"

"No! Take your boat! Why don't you leave on it!" I screamed in hatred, making him take a step forward.

I lifted my arm and turned my head away. My eyes squeezed shut as I waited.

Waiting. Waiting. For anything. An impact. A scream. But...nothing came.

"Hazel?" I heard someone whisper, making me slowly open my eyes.

He was gone. I turned slightly to be met with a confused face.

"Harry?"

______________________

Ohh cliffhanger.;)

Imma dedicate this chapter to my frienz Autumn and Kylie. Hope y'all liked it.

I'll be updating again tomorrow and Sunday. Hope y'all had a great thanksgiving (if you're from America).

Xx