Prologue

Media: Kimani Walters (real ig: inkmyafrica)
'You can't rely on how you look to sustain you, what sustains us, what is fundamentally beautiful is compassion; for yourself and for those around you.' - Lupita Nyong'o

Kimani Walters used to love going out when she was younger, to the park and playground to play with her friends, she'd spend her days there playing with the other kids, playing tag, 20/20 home, what time is it mr wolf!? and other playground games but that was then and this is now.
Now Kimani spends time at home, on Tumblr, or Instagram being sucked into societies love for the fair skin and the hatred for her and her skin. 'Dark skin girls are the ugliest type of girls there are'
'Yeah, i want a lighty with a fat ass'
'Never dated a darkskin, never will'
Nothing on dark skin women and their beauty and the melanin which they had tucked away in their DNA.

Kimani was not ugly though, in fact she was far from it, she had plump lips, cute little nose, what some would call an hourglass figure, somewhat of a big bum and boobs, dark brown hair which defied gravity (4b) and was around her shoulders but a tad longer, long eyelashes which hid her big dark brown eyes and those brows blessed by the God's the only thing she didn't have was less melanin, the light skin colour everyone had so much love for.
There would be times where she would hate herself hoping the get in touch with bleaching creams and soaps but never had the confidence to do so or maybe it was from her best friends Asia and Shemika they were both lighter than her.

Shemika was the lightest of them all as she was mixed with Jamiacan and British, she had hair which stopped at bra length it was the typical 3c hair texture, she was also very beautiful and had a nice body shape. She had most of her ears pierced and also a smiley.

Asia was brownskin, she was from Sierra Leone, she had dark black hair which was relaxed but not 'damaged' she had medium length hair which fell to her shoulders, she would usually be wearing some coloured weave as she liked to change it up from time to time. She also had a nice bodyand had a huge bum not Nicki (we all wish) but like J-Lo or maybe something like that.

Kimani cherished her friends, they kept her sane during her breakdowns and knew about the pain and insecurities she felt being how she looked. Boys would speak to her just because of her body or to talk to her to get to her friends, some girls would snigger and stare at her as she walked around or maybe it was her body too.

When her and her mother were together they were like bestfriends, watching movies, gossiping about celebrities and doing the ordinary thing. Her mother Imani was a successful woman, she had her daughter, looked after her alone, got her degree and provided for her where she fell short in the past, some would say she spoils Kimani.

Kimani's father Devon moved to Canada to live his life and work his way up the corporate ladder, he used to come during the winters but stopped due to issues unknown, his relationship with his 'angel' was no longer but a distant memory.

Kimani's P.O.V
One more week left of the summer holidays until I start college, a whole new experience for me. September 12th the first day at Roadville College (A/N: made up college btw and if its real I didn't know.) I can't believe that I'm going to college finally, 5 years with these washed up boys at Bensworth Secondary School, maybe I'll find someone... Ha kidding whose gonna want me.

I rubbed my eyes from waking up and sat on my bed looking around my room still contemplating about the first day of college next week, no more uniforms, our hair can be dyed any colour, new people, teachers and subjects. I was going to study Business Studies, Media and Maths, i wanna do Business at University later and become something great.
I looked at the time it was only 9am and I was up. I got my phone of the charger and checked my social media such as Snapchat and WhatsApp i didn't have a 'popping Instagram' so didn't really use it.

I wonder what I'm gonna do today? Buy some last minute stationary, clothes, hmm I dunno?

...

Damn theMadMarsz so we cant get chapters but we can get a new book? Really theMadMarsz? Really?
Sorry but I really wanted to make a book on dark skin struggles. I dont really know which one of my old books i wanna continue and which ones i want to finish tbh. Im not doing this for views in mind anymore but just to write books which I can some what relate to (unless you know if its something i haven't done).
Hope you enjoy anyways and please try not be offended by the comments on skin colour, but these are actual views I've heard people say about this particular topic. Oh and sorry for any grammatical errors.

Have a good day, morning, afternoon, evening or night!
Muah x