My Fighter [7]

My Fighter [7]

My hand caresses the skin on my stomach. I breathe in through my nose and out of my mouth as the nausea settles deep inside. A headache pounds behind my eyes and I rest my head on Colton's shoulders. We have a doctor's appointment this weekend just to make sure everything is okay and to get our first sonogram. Our first picture of our baby.

"Do you want to know the sex of the baby right away or do you want to wait?"

"I already know." My husband said. "We're having a boy."

"You don't know that." I said. Colton places both of his hands on my bare, growing stomach. There's a small bump, not yet big enough for anyone to really tell that I'm pregnant. In just a few weeks we should be able to tell the sex of the baby. I go back and forth, deciding if I want to know.

"I know." He said it with so much conviction, like he absolutely knew for sure that we are going to have a baby boy. I wanted to believe him and I wanted him to be right. Even though I know he would be just fine with a baby girl, he's always wanted a first born son. An older, protective brother for the daughter he wanted next. Or another boy before the girl. Colton would probably prefer two boys before a girl that way she'll have triple protection. I roll my eyes just thinking about it.

"Well it's never too early to start thinking of names."

As soon as I said this, Colton's eyes light up. He kisses my bare stomach and rolls off the couch. He lands on all fours onto the floor and pops up onto his feet. My husband disappears upstairs for only a few moments and reappears with a large white board and blue and pink dry erase markers. I shake my head but smile, he looks like a little kid.

"Why do you have this?" I asked.

"When I was playing at the college, Coach had me draw the plays out so I would remember them all." He said. "We can put it on the fridge and whenever we come up with a name we like, we can write it down. Pink for girls and blue for boys."

I kiss his lips. "I love that idea."

"Enough to take this to this bedroom?"

"Nope." I said. "But maybe if you make me some popcorn, the extra buttery kind please."

"Of course sweetheart."

Colton comes back with a large bowl of buttery popcorn and two cans of soda. He sets the popcorn on the couch in-between us and lays the white board on my lap. He pulls a black marker out of nowhere and splits the board into two, then writes boys on top of the left half and girls on the right. On the boy's side, he writes down the names Chad and Caleb. I take the pink marker and write the names Emery and Evelynn.

Colton sets the white board aside for now and gulps down his soda. "You didn't have to give all the beer to Nick."

"If you can't drink, then I can't drink."

"I'm not an alcoholic Colt, I'm pregnant."

"Trust me, I know that." He said. My husband stares at me as I eat the whole bowl of popcorn. He takes some for himself but leaves most of it for me. I'm thankful, this baby has really been craving salt lately. When I'm done, he kisses my lips and places the bowl on the table. He stands and leans down to pick me up and I wrap my legs around his waist. "This won't hurt the baby right?"

I laugh but he looks completely serious. "No, it won't hurt the baby."

"Good."

The school has become my favorite place to be. I come early, well Colton drives me early before he goes to physical therapy, and I stay late to work on lesson plans. Lucy still begs to color all day of every day, and it's only been a week. Daniel and Zack are proud know-it-alls that love to play four square at recess. The two boys have a habit of ganging up on the girls to get them out first so it's only boys playing.