My Fighter [11]

[I made a mistake somewhere in this story. For some reason in one spot it says she's teaching first grade and in others she's teaching third. She is teaching THIRD GRADE. I will go back and make those corrections soon.]

My Fighter [11]

"You kissed me." Dakota said. We've made it back to my house now. The boys have carried everything inside and placed it in the third room. We're still picking out a shade of blue for the nursery. Mar and Bradley, who stuck to themselves mostly, have gone and left the four of us.

We're all on the couch in the living room, despite there being other places to sit. There's nothing on and yet Colt still flips through the channels.

"For Colton." I said.

"Why would he want you to kiss me?"

"He just wanted me to kiss any girl. Mar's had her fair share of girly kisses, so I chose you. You're welcome. Now you can say you've kissed a girl."

"But—"

"Oh calm down babe, it was hot." Nick said. "Would have been better if one of didn't look like you are about to pop."

"Nick," I said, flinging my arm out to smack him. "You are officially out of the running."

"The running for what?"

"We were considering the name Nick for our son, but you just lost your chance."

"But Colt—"

"The wife has spoken."

"It's okay baby," Dakota leans into kiss her husband.

When the couple pulls apart, Nick looks at Colton with a smirk. "I just non-directly kissed your wife."

"What?" I asked.

"I can taste your lip gloss."

"How do you know it's not Dakota's?" asked Colton.

"She's not wearing any."

My husband attacks Nick. The pair roll on the floor, wrestling. I'm too tired to stop them. Dakota moves so she's right next to me and takes a handful of my popcorn. "We got lucky."

I smile at her words and look at the grown men wrestling on the floor like boys. They used to do this all throughout middle and high school. It's how they settled arguments. Whoever pinned the other done for five seconds won. I thought they would have grown out of it. I guess I was wrong.

____

The next morning, Mrs. Graham greets me as I walk into school. I walk towards my mailbox and slip the pieces of paper out. "Have a good day Mrs. Graham."

"You too dear."

My classroom smells like cleaner when I get inside so I prop the door open to air it out. My planner is open to today's date. My appointment written in black bold letters at the bottom and had my stomach in knots since this morning. Colton was packing his bag while I got ready for work. He had a meeting with his coaching staff he couldn't meet. His plane for Massachusetts was leaving in a few hours.

My phone was ringing. I didn't even bother checking the number before I answered, "Hello."

"Mrs. Davis, it's Dr. Roberts."

"Is everything okay?" My hand instinctively travels down to my stomach. Now was not a good time for bad news. Especially with Colton leaving for three days. It's the first time in months that I'm actually driving myself somewhere and Colton was already freaking out. The what if's plaguing his mind.