My Fighter [12]

My Fighter [12] 

Double dates are never fun, much less triple dates. But for one night, I would suck up my displeasure. Only because a very big surprise is involved and I couldn't wait for it to happen. I could barely keep my mouth shut I am so excited.  

Colton's finally home. True to my word, I called him as we were wiping the gel off my large stomach. Dr. Roberts was still in the room, handing me the ultrasound. 

"Please tell me he's okay." Were my husband's first words when he answered the phone. I could hear his team behind him. They were loud and I knew they were in the middle of something but I knew they understood. They were excited for this baby just as much as Colton and I am. They've already got life long season passes for the Patriots as soon as he's born. I just hope he doesn't take a liking to some other team or Colton gets traded. 

I rolled my eyes. Neither Ricky or I could keep the smile off of our faces since the good news. I was so stressed coming in here. I didn't know what to expect. It was times like these when I wanted nothing more than to have a beer but the baby would kick and those thoughts would fly out of my mind. 

"Nothing is wrong Colt, he's healthy." 

"False alarm?" 

"False alarm." I said. "Ricky drove so you don't need to freak out. She's going to drive me home now." 

"That's good," he said. "Means I don't have to kill her. Make sure you get something to eat. Have a cheeseburger if you want. I won't tell my mother." 

"Thank you." 

Colton came home a day early. The last day was just a free day for the team to get together but Colton wanted nothing more than to come home and feel the baby kick. The team understood. Some of them were giving him shit for being whipped but I think when you get married and have a baby on the way, you've been whipped for a while now. 

I can tell by the look on Colton's face whenever he goes on social media and sees his teammates playing that he wants to be on the field. I can tell just by the look in his eyes. He misses the feeling of being on the field and playing the game he loves. I miss watching him. When practices start up again I won't see much of him. He'll be in Massachusetts for the first few months before games actually start, then he'll be traveling a lot. While he's in preseason, my dad will come and live with me to help with the baby. 

I know that Colton's parents will be around too and that makes this better. During football season we might travel to our home in Massachusetts for a few of the home games. It's a smaller home. A one story with three bedrooms and two baths. It'll be enough for us. 

Although we have a second home and Colton wants to buy one in California, I want our kids to be raised in Florida-however many we are able to have. I want them to be raised by their grandparents and where I know they'll be able to make friends. Especially if the kids he grows up with are anything like the ones in my class. 

Dakota is helping me put on a loose pink Maxi dress for tonight. I've skipped out on the heels, or any fancy shoe. Instead, I'm in a plain black pair of flats. I'm thankful we're not going anywhere too fancy tonight. It was Dakota's idea to go to a small Italian restaurant in the town over which happens to be Mar's favorite. 

"I'm excited for tonight." Dakota said. The maxi dress fits well and showcases the belly. I look at myself in the mirror and I look happy. My face has a glow to it and my stomach sticks out wide. I can't help but let a smile take over my face when I remember my last ultrasound. My baby is healthy and I couldn't be happier. "I hope it ends well." 

"It will." I said. It has to end well. It just has to. 

We are all meeting at our house before we leave. Mar and Bradley show up when Dakota is helping me put on my flats. I can't bend down and put them on myself very easily.