Chapter 29 ~ Apart & Together

Davenport Homestead, 1777

The air was thick with tension as I hurried after Connor, Achilles quick behind me. 

All that belonged truly to us were the mats we arrived with, and Connor had his under his arm as he was storming out the door. 

"Don't do this Connor!" I called from the steps as Achilles made his way through the open doorway. 

He was quick to reply and I folded my arms as I watched him look from me to Achilles with eyes cold with lust for revenge. "Then what would you propose we do? Sit and watch while the Templars take control?" My eyes looked towards Achilles for help but Connor wasn't finished. "We are sworn to stop them. Or have you forgotten?"

Two seasons had passed and with them Connor felt little was done to put an end to Haytham's iron grip and rule over the colonies through Templar control. In a sense I was often blaming myself in secret for my affair with Haytham was blossoming in secret. Not a soul knew my true intentions when traveling away. Much was to do with the affairs of the Templars but often enough when finished setting them back on a minute scale, the rest of my time away was spent in Haytham's arms.

My mother was of course suspicious but never asked, and I never spoke of my true intentions.

But it seemed that while almost seemingly content in a world of make-believe, Connor was aware of the dangers we were facing and was growing impatient. I knew he was right, but my heart spoke it's own thoughts. 

Achilles moved forward now. "Assassins are meant to be quiet. Precise. We do not go announcing conspiracies from the rooftops to all who pass by."

"Who are you to lecture anyone? You locked yourself away in this crumbling heap and gave up on the Brotherhood entirely."

"Connor!" I scolded suddenly as I too moved forward, in shock he was speaking to Achilles this way. 

"Since the day we arrived," he continued, "you've done nothing but discourage us. And on the rare occasion you've chosen to help, you've done so little, you may as well have done nothing at all!"

My mouth fell open and I watched him with wonder, my hands coming to chest as if to protect myself, even if his words were not meant for me. 

"How dare you!" 

"Then tell me: On whose watch did the brotherhood falter? Whose inaction allowed the Templar Order to grow so large that it now controls an entire nation?"  Connor now turned and made his way towards the horse he had previously readied and Achilles was moving down the steps towards him. In a way I felt as though this was to blame not only Achilles but myself without directly targeting me. 

"If I sought to dissuade you, it was because you knew nothing! If I was reluctant to contribute, it was because you were naive. A thousand times you would have died and taken God knows how many with you." Connor moved around his horse ignoring Achilles as he spoke to him. Growing up with Connor I knew just how intense he was; both as a boy and and now a man. Yet the man in him was still that of a boy I felt and could not see his ways could be dangerous. "Let me tell you something Connor: Life is not a fairy tale and there are no happy endings."

His eyes looked now towards Achilles and up to me. "No... not when men like you are left in charge." 

Mounting his horse, Achilles put his hand on saddle, his other hand giving away just how much he was holding back by the white of his knuckles clenching his cane. "In your haste to save the world, boy - take care you don't destroy it."

Without much haste, Connor took one last look around and was gone before I could even realize. By time I did, Achilles was back upon the steps standing beside me with eyes searching for how I felt. Much like my mother he too knew something was going on my side of all this however I looked down to my hands and said nothing.