one

Wahey! The first couple of chapters are mostly just describing stuff you won’t particularly care about, so you can skip over some parts if you want. The boys won’t be introduced until the third part!

I checked myself quickly in the mirror before getting out of my small silver car. My light blonde hair was curled loosely and rested at my collar bones, my heart-shaped face touched up with just a hint of powder, some dewy blusher, pale pink eyeshadow, and a thin coat of mascara. I grabbed my baby-pink leather tote that I’d purchased at Zara last week and exited the car, my white Keds hitting the pavement and dragging me into the chilly London morning.

Today was just another day, nothing new or exciting. Exactly the way I liked it. My outfit consisted of the usual, a high-collared floaty floral dress with a thin grey cardigan over top, resting just half way down my thighs and tightly hugging my torso. I’d paired it with grey socks that reached above my knees, and a delicate silver necklace with a small airplane shaped charm- the only thing I owned from Tiffany’s. I didn’t do much shopping away from the usual stores like Topshop, Zara, New Look, and River Island, but everything I bought was essentially the same- neutrals and pastels, florals and light, delicate detailing. I was- to put it simply, your classic girl-next-door, before the term came to be a bit more risky.

I was quiet, sweet, caring, and shy, and I looked the part in clothes that described myself. You’re more likely to find me working at the bakery in the middle of London, reading, or playing the piano. Trying new things was never appealing to me, I liked to have everything stay the same, not having to worry about surprises or any of that.

“Elizabeth! Morning!” Harper chirped when I pushed through the door, the bell tinkling.

“Good morning, Harper. What’s the shifts looking like today?” I asked, walking behind the bench and putting my bag in the back room.

“If you could pour the batter into the trays and put them in the oven now, I’ll fix up the frosting and work the till. You can decorate them once they’re cooled.” Harper said, twisting her natural red hair into a chignon on the back of her head.

“Of course. I love your dress, where’ve you gotten that from?” I asked, lifting my apron from the hook and wrapping it around myself. Harper looked down at the white dress that had loose sleeves to her elbows and cinched at the waist, floating to her knees. There were small pale green leaves embroidered around the collar, and it looked so fragile and sweet, the opposite of my loud and extroverted best friend.

“Mum got it for me for my birthday. I almost gave it to you... but then I felt bad because it was gift.” Harper admitted. I laughed and smiled at her, pulling my hair from under the apron and heading to the back, where I poured out the batter into the seperate trays and turned on the oven before sliding them inside.

The owner was a magician when it comes to baking, though she’s very old so she comes at night, makes the batter, and puts them in the fridge so that in the morning when we pour them out the cupcakes and pastries will be less brittle and more flavourful. Last night she’d mixed up some red velvet, Dutch chocolate, lemon, strawberry, and vanilla custard batters which were now baking in large cupcake trays.

“Morning, sir! The first batch of cupcakes has just gone into the oven, so I’m afraid it will be a bit of a wait. If you’re interested in a drink or another pastry, we can have that in just a moment.” Harper said brightly to our first customer of the day. I couldn’t see him, but I did a double take at his American accent.

“I’d like a coffee, if that’s alright. And can I place an order for a later time?” He asked. There was a pause, and I took off my apron, knowing Harper was about to call me.