twenty-six

Okay so I have no freaking clue what James' sister is named so we're going to call her Katharine, Katie for short. Just go with it and leave a comment if you know her name so I can change it:)

"Do you want to play?" I turned to see Katharine standing in the doorway looking wary. I glanced back at the ping-pong table and shrugged.

"Sure. I've never played before, though." I cautioned. Katie laughed and shrugged, handing me a paddle. I took it in my hands, staring at it nervously. Was this just like regular tennis only smaller?

"It's easier than you think." Katie said, picking up a small ball and hitting it gently over the miniature net. I let out an inhuman noise and swung my arm, missing the ball completely and watching it bounce on the floor pathetically. Katie giggled and smiled at me kindly.

"You'll get better." She assured me. I nodded, getting ready this time and holding the paddle in front of me when Katie hit the ball towards me. This time I hit it but a little too hard, so that ball flew past her head.

We stared at each other with wide eyes before bursting out laughing, composing ourselves and starting over again. After about ten minutes I had gotten slightly better, but not without much effort. I held up a finger to Katie and set the paddle on the table, bending down and pulling my jumper over my head and revealing a grey tee with the sleeves rolled, tucked into my ripped high-waisted shorts. I was wearing frilly crew socks and black Vans as well as my red jumper which was now on the floor, and my hair was in a bun with a lace bow.

"Bring it!" I teased in a deep voice, making Katie laugh. We played, managing to get the ball over the net a few times before I lost, no surprisingly. Katie beat me pretty badly, and I pretended to be a bad sport about it to make her laugh.

"I like the colour of your lacquer." Katie commented while we were trying to fish a small ball out from under the couch.

"Thanks!" I replied, managing to get the ball finally. So far I was pretty sure Katie liked me well enough, but part of me wanted to be accepted really badly even though what I had with James was all staged. I mean, even if I wasn't his real girlfriend, I wanted his family to at least think I was a nice girl.

"If you want I could paint your nails? I've got quite a few things of varnish in my bag." I said nervously. Katie smiled brightly and nodded, her eyes twinkling.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." She agreed. I matched her smile and grabbed my jumper, leading the way to the guest room. Katie sat on the bed while I retrieved the nail varnish I had in my suitcase from America. They had such cheap and nice colours there that not only had I brought some with me, I'd also bought a bunch of bottles in LA.

"Pick your colour." I said, laying them all out in front of Katie. "Maybe you can paint my nails, too?" I suggested. Katie nodded excitedly, looking through the bottles. She picked out a nice sky blue colour for herself and a sunny orange for me.

"Can I play some music?" She asked. I nodded, shaking the bottle while she went and grabbed her iPod and a dock. Katie set it up and put it next to the head of my bed, hitting shuffle. Instantly a One Direction song started playing. I recognized them, but I wasn't really a fan so I didn't know the song.

"You like One Direction?" I asked, resting Katie's hand on my knee and carefully painting her nails.

"Yeah. Do you like them?" Katie asked shyly. I shrugged, meeting her eyes before returning to her nails.

"I don't like them, but I don't mind them either. They're not really my style, but they do write catchy songs and they're pretty good singers." I said politely. It was true, they made good for themselves. Katie nodded, humming along while I painted her nails, switching hands.