thirty-six

“So you’re not going to call him?” Brad asked sadly.

“I can’t do it. I don’t want to put either of us through that.” I confessed, holding my phone between my shoulder and ear while I washed my hands in the sink.

“Come on, Lizzie. Don’t be stupid.” Brad moaned. I frowned and dried my hands.

“Brad... I can’t do it. He’ll hate me if things don’t work out again.” I sighed. There was a pause.

“So that’s just it? You’re losing him all together because you are scared of what might happen? How do you even know things will turn out badly, Liz?” Brad asked, disappointment clear in his tone.

“Don’t be like that. Maybe someday you’ll get it, but for now you can’t possibly understand what the both of us are going through.” I said bitterly, my tone harsh. I instantly regretted it, but Brad didn’t seem to mind. He gave up on trying to convince me to change my mind.

“So what are you going to do, to occupy time and that?” Brad asked. I considered telling him, then decided it wasn’t like he would care.

“I’m thinking about getting a kitten. We’ve gotten more workers at the Bakery and changed the hours because it’s gotten more popular, so I’ll work less each day, just more days and I figure that it’d be nice to have a little companion.” I admitted.

“A kitten?” Brad mused.

“Shutup, Simpson. How cute would a little kitty be?” I cooed, already my mood brightening at the idea of having a little kitten to play with and cuddle.

“I’m not disagreeing with you. I just didn’t know you liked cats.” Brad said simply.

“Well I love them. It’s been so long since I’ve seen one, and I practically catnapped Mickey when....” I trailed off, biting my lip.

“And somehow it always gets back to James.” Brad said sadly.

“I’m gonna go, take a bath or something.” I said flatly.

“Alright. Bye, Liz. We all miss you around.” Brad added.

“Bye, Brad.”

There are only two chapters left! I am planning to write a sequel (exclusive to my wattpad, and will not be posted on quotev). Feedback and thoughts/ideas on a sequel?