thirty-four

Getting up in the morning was painful, requiring much more effort than it should have. I skipped a shower and breakfast, stepping into my dark blue ankle jeans, a peach silk blouse from Topshop, and a white cardigan. I loaded some bracelets on to my right arm to help me forget the missing weight of the watch.

Pulling on my white Zara sandals, I grabbed my phone and bag and headed out to my car, driving to the bakery. As soon as I arrived and saw the sign on the door, I remembered I was an hour early for work. Letting out a loud groan, I let myself in anyway and sat down at a table in the corner, opening my phone and deciding to scroll through twitter, bracing myself for the backlash of my decision.

What I saw made my stomach drop, instantly making me feel sick to my stomach.

@TheVampsJames: You got what you wanted.

I breathed deeply and kept scrolling, seeing tweets from all of the boys all along the same lines, only less painful to read than James'.

@TheVampsBrad: Words can ruin the most beautiful things in life.

@TheVampsTris: Disappointed in some of you that consider yourselves fans, you should realise that words can hurt pretty badly.

@TheVampsConnor: Not all good things must come to an end #sad

I closed the app, choosing to look at Instagram instead because it was less likely to be loaded with upsetting things. The worst someone could post on there is a bad selfie. But I instantly regretted my choice to go on Instagram as soon as the first post loaded. It was from Katie's Instagram, a picture of James and I on the beach, his arm around my shoulder, my sunglasses in his hand as he leaned down to kiss me.

'I'm so upset by what some of you who call yourself fans of The Vamps have said to Elizabeth. She's one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever had the chance to meet. She treats everyone around her like they are worth something, and is so selfless and kind. It makes me sick that people can see James and Elizabeth together and think that what they have is fake, because if I've learned one thing from being with them it's that the relationship between my brother and Liz is that the way they feel for eachother is anything but fake. Unfortunately, none of you could see them like I did and that ended up ruining an amazing relationship that made both of them happy. I'm so sad that Liz is no longer a part of James' life, or mine. I'm so sad that a perfect relationship was destroyed by people who call themselves fans. xx Katie

I sucked in a breath and pressed my palms into my eyes, trying to hold back any tears. I've been crying way too much over this. I need to grow up and put this all behind me. It's over, I ended this and this is what I wanted, so why do I feel so dreadful?