Deadly Passion (19)

"So, that's it?" Priscilla asked as she looked up at her lawyer. 

"Yup. You're finally divorced." He told her. 

She let out a long exhale and absorbed the facts. She was no longer married. James- the man she spent the last twelve years of her life with- is no longer her husband. It was something straight out of a fictional storybook; she had never imagined the day she wouldn't be with James. 

Maybe her image of forever was something from that fictional book instead...

"Are you okay?" Her lawyer asked. 

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you, Harry." She smiled as she gathered her paperwork and exited the office. 

She had asked for nothing in the divorce and that's what she got. She was scotch-free. No children... no husband. Nothing.

Suddenly, her phone vibrated in her back pocket. Pulling it out, she looked at the caller ID and held her breath. How did he get this number? She wondered. 

"Hello?"

"I heard you were back." Craig's deep voice filled her ears. 

"How did you know?" 

"People talk." Came his simple reply. "I want to see you. I want to apologize for our encounter the last time we met."

"It's nothing, really." She tried to assure him but he wouldn't have any of it. Priscilla rolled her eyes- she was annoyed at the situation and him. 

She didn't want to perpetuate something she knew would never last. Sure, she loved him back when they were teens but now things were different- she was different. Firstly, she never expected to fall in love with James all those years ago. 

Her father had purposely broken up her relationship with Craig and tried to pawn her off on some new guy from across the country. She wanted none of it- despite his endless wooing. 

"Listen, Craig. I'm running late for a meeting. How about we finish this up another time?" 

"Sure, I'll make reservations for dinner this weekend." He told her before hanging up. 

______________________

"Date Rape Drug?" James asked, stunned at the information his associate just told him.

"Yup. It's a small amount but there are traces of Ketamine in your system." Frank told him.

James had sent a sample of his blood and other fluids to the lab and asked Frank to run every test he could possibly do. The results came back to him in less than a day.

"Are you fucking with me?" He pressed his fingers to his temple. He felt nauseas and a slight headache coming on. 

"It's right there in the file I sent you. Even though it's a miniscule amount; that's all you need to be unconscious for hours and wake up with amnesia." Frank warned him. "Be careful who you accept drinks from. You won't be able to see it or even taste it."

After he hung up, James sat in his chair and tried to grasp the reality of what he just learned.

Why would Hailey drug me?

He grabbed the file on his desk and scanned through it. Ketamine, street name: Special K, Super C or Cat Valium.... used in liquid or powdered form as an anesthetic.... causes numbness, hallucinations, depression, amnesia... long term fatal respiratory problems. 

"Jesus Christ!" He exclaimed and shot out of his chair. "How long has she been drugging me?" He threw the file down and grabbed his office phone.