Deadly Passion (21)

"She told me her father was dead." James deadpanned. 

"Ha, that's what she likes to tell people." Chester scoffed. 

"Why don't you explain this to me and I'll see if it makes sense or not."

"Listen, I didn't come here for no money or whatever. I just came to find her. She ain't too right in the head area, if you know what I mean." Chester pointed to his head. 

"Are you saying she's mentally unstable?" Because that would make a lot of sense. He thought to himself. 

"Yes, she's been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder since she was fifteen. Around the time her mother died."

"Are you sure?" James sat up straighter in his chair. 

"Yes," he shuffled around until he produced a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket. "This is her birth certificate." He gave it to James.

"How do I know this isn't fake?" He stared down at the paper. 

Name: Hailey Adkins

DOB: February 23, 1990

Mother: Daisy Brown-Adkins

Father: Chester Adkins

"You can always check it out." He shrugged. "I ain't got nothin' to lie about." 

"So why were you looking for her? When she came to me, she was fresh out of college and her name was Hailey Davis." James raised an eyebrow at the suspicious man in front of him. 

"If I told you; you'd throw me outta this building without listening to a word I gotta say." Chester thrust his thumb towards the door. 

"You'd be surprised." James leaned back in his chair. 

Chester sighed and rubbed his hands together again. The effects of his withdrawal was getting to him. He tried to stay clean for a few days before he met with James. If he had shown up looking like an addict; he wouldn't be sitting in this chair. 

After he saw a picture of Hailey in the paper, he immediately sold his crappy car and immediately left. Hopefully Charlie won't realise until it was too late. If not, then at least he would have some leverage as payment... it was the least she could do for him based on what she put him through. 

"When she turned around sixteen, the police turned up on my doorstep with an arrest warrant for me. I was put in cuffs and taken down to the precinct where I was questioned for hours about my daughter. No one believed me and I was sentenced to ten years for statutory rape." Chester looked into James' eyes to see if he believed him. 

"So, you're saying that she lied?"

"She's not stable. A few boys from town must have roughed her up a bit and she told the police it was me."

James nodded. "I will definitely look into it. Is there any other reason you came to me instead of her?" He hinted- knowing just what a man like himself wanted. 

Chester itched his right elbow then rubbed his arm. "Well..."

"Let me cut to the chase for you," he leaned forward, "I will pay you for this... information and if she does need help then I will help her. You will not try to contact her, understood?" 

"How much we talkin'?" Chester leaned closer. 

A couple hours after Cheser left his office, James got a phone call from Frank. "Tell me something good." He greeted him. 

"I wish I could, man. I've found high doses of the same drug. Enough to really cause some damage." 

"Are you sure?" James stressed the words. "Why would she drug me?"