My Arrival

I'm on the train watching the world go by outside the window. The countryside has passed, and now I'm seeing city around me. The cherry blossoms are in bloom. It's the time of year when the whole world is new and exciting. I feel my hart beat faster and butterflies in my stomach. Today is my first day in Tokyo.
         It took a lot of work to get my father to agree to let me move out here on my own instead of just getting a teaching job back in Kyushu. Once I landed an interview at a prestigious all girls school in Azabu he softened on the issue, but said I could only come if I landed the job. Luckily the interview went well, and the principal hired me on the spot. I'm glad the principal interviewed me instead of the vice principal because I doubt I'd have gotten in so easily. His body language told me that he's strict and doesn't warm up to very many people easily.
          Finding an apartment turned out not to be as easy as getting a job. Leases require key money, three months deposit, brokerage fees, references, perfect credit, and a strong job history. Not to mention even a studio close enough to work is way out of my price range. Luckily my dad got in touch with my uncle who agreed to let me live over his bar and work part time in exchange for a break on the rent. It's a great deal, but I can't help to be a little nervous since I haven't seen him in ten years. 
          As the train pulls to a stop I and I step onto the platform my phone beeps with a text.
             "Here's a list of some stuff I need for the bar. Thanks for picking them up for me on your way over. -Kuni"
          Then my phone beeps again with a list of stuff I've never heard of. "Huh?" I say a little too loud and cover my mouth with embarrassment. I go into the nearest market and look around. The supermarkets are so much bigger here in Tokyo than Kyushu. I don't know where to even start to look. "What a fine first impression you're going to make Yuri," I mutter to myself under my breath.
          While my head is down I walk straight into a man. "Oops, excuse me," I say politely as I look up to see a rather handsome man looking down at me.
           "Excuse you," he said rather curtly. "You need to watch where you're going."
           I'm surprised the man would be so short with a total stranger, but I keep myself together and force a smile. "I'm sorry. I just wasn't sure what I was looking for."
           The man rolled his eyes and chuckled. "Do you seriously mean to tell me that you don't even know what you're buying?" Before I can answer he snatches my phone out of my hand to read the list. Then he goes down the aisles and fills my basket and walks off. It was nice of him to help, but I feel sorry for his wife.
           I check out and keep walking down the street. I pass a shop with a beautiful wedding gown in the window. Wouldn't it be nice if I met a man I could marry here in Tokyo. I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself. Where would I even meet a man? The school I'm teaching at is mostly female, and the few males that teach there are required to be married. Oh well, I'm probably going to have too much on my plate to worry with dating at the moment anyway.
          I get to the address I was given with my luggage and shopping bags. The sign says "Long Island Sports Dining Bar." This is the place. When I walk in I see a man about mid thirties with long hair. Is that Uncle? I thought he was a CEO, but he's remarkably causal. "Jessica, is that you? Wow you've changed a lot in ten years!"
         "I'd say the same for you Uncle Kuni," I said while taking a seat at the bar.
          "Is this the stuff I asked for? You're so helpful Yuri!"
          "Thanks," I said smiling. It's nice to get a warm welcome after meeting that rude man earlier.
           "So listen," said Kuni, "I didn't realize today was the day you were coming. The room upstairs is still dirty and full of boxes."
            "What?! But you texted me a shopping list!"
            "Ha, you got me. Actually I have a favor I want to ask you."
            The room is spinning and I'm feeling dizzy all of a sudden. "What kind of favor?" Before he answers the man from the supermarket walks through the door and looks at me with wide eyes. Okay, I'm definitely going to faint.