The Hospital

I open my eyes and feel like I've had a ton of bricks dumped on me. My vision is blurry, and I feel like there's a knife in my head. Ugh I can barely move. Where the hell am I? I don't even remember leaving school. I try to sit up, but I just fall back on the bed. Why am I short of breath? Was I in some kind of accident or something? I think I'm too weak to speak. I just close my eyes and let the world go dark again. I can't even think right now.
          When I open my eyes again I can see a little better, but everything is still blurry. I see Yamato asleep in a chair next to the bed.  He opens his eyes and looks at me. "Yuri, thank God you're awake?" said Yamato.
           "What happened?" I said. "The last thing I remember is painting in the art room."
           Yamato's eyes widen. "You don't remember the accident?"
           I shake my head.
           "You were mugged... I'm so sorry," said Yamato with his eyes watery.
           I keep my eyes focused on Yamato. "It's okay. You can tell me the whole story."
           "There's been a series of muggings. Most women are hit in the back of the head and their belongings stolen. You didn't have your purse on you, and the police think it made the muggers angry. They beat you up pretty bad. If I hadn't found you when I did then you might not have... I can't even think about it."
            I shake my head. "This doesn't make sense. Why was I just roaming at night alone?" Yamato just looks away. Before I can ask any more a doctor comes in.
             "Glad to see you awake Mrs Kougami. Has your husband had a chance to go over your condition with you."
             "Condition?" I say blankly.
              "I'll take that as a no," said the doctor. "Mrs. Kougmai you've suffered extensive injuries. You've suffered a concussion, four broken ribs, and broken bones in your right hand and a broken leg."
              I can barely comprehend what's being told to me.
              "You may also have possible complications from hypothermia. You were on the ground unconscious for a few hours. I'm sorry for this news, Mrs Kougmai. I know you must have loads of questions for me."
             "Since I didn't have money, did they take anything else?" I said meekly.
            The doctor shook his head. "We didn't see any evidence of that type of assault."
             At least that's something. Not that this situation is in any way good. Then another thought hits me I look down at my bandaged hand. "I'm an artist..." I say looking at the doctor with pleading eyes.
             "We believe that you can regain the use of your hand through physical therapy, but we can't say for sure when or if," said the doctor.
           "If?" I respond my eyes filling with tears. Yamato hugged me as we both cried, no ether of us saying a word.