What Now?

The next few weeks go by in a blur. Everyone I know comes to visit me: all of the Long Island gang, the principal from school, Miyu (she's weirdly morose for someone I've known a day), and even my parents. Uncle Kuni let the cat out of the bag about my condition. I wish he wouldn't make them worry. They say they want to have a talk with me when I get out of the hospital. I'm worried they will make me come home. Today is the day I get discharged. I should be excited, but now I've got them hanging over my head on top of everything else.
            What am I supposed to do if I can't paint? Maybe I should just go home. Does Yamato even need me for his fake contract anymore? Now I would just be a burden more than a help. Maybe I should go home. After I can move more maybe I can go work at the family flower shop back home in Kyushu. The principal says they've hired a substitute for the semester to give me time to recover, and then we can revisit if I'm well enough to stay on at the school or not. I want to scream, "Congratulations Yuri; you made it for exactly a day!" This has got to be some kind of record. Another question is do I even want to go back? I know something happened that no one is telling me about. How horrible was it?
              Yamato walked into the hospital room as I was lost in thought. "Hey weirdo. What are you spacing out about?" I kind of force a half smile, but I don't answer. I'm in no place to pretend I'm okay. I'm also not feeling burdening my fake husband right now. This is one of those moments I wish I had a real husband. It's nice of Yamato to be so caring. I bet he'll make a great husband one day. I hope I'm lucky enough to find someone like him for real. "You ready to finally get out of here?" I nod, and he helps me into a wheelchair.
             I don't say anything on the cab ride home. All I do is look outside. I've been in the hospital so long the cherry blossoms are beginning to bloom. "We can go for a picnic if you want and watch the blooms," said Yamato. I nod and keep staring at the blooms. I can't help but feel melancholy. This is not how my life in Tokyo is supposed to go. Maybe this was all a huge mistake. All I want to do is space out in front of a comedy, eat non hospital food, and forget my troubles. Yet it seems I've firmly chosen the path of self pity.
           After we're finally settled back in Yamato says, "Okay Yuri, talk to me."
           "I don't even know what to say. You're not really my husband. I don't even know you that well," I said. Yamato looked visibly hurt. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. He's been by my side this whole time while keeping up work as much as possible. This has to be hard on him too. I sigh, "I'm sorry Yamato. I'm just wondering what to do now. My parents want me to come home, and I can't think of a reason not to."
            "Yuri, I may not be your husband, but I'd like to be there for you anyway. What if I told your parents that I want to take care of you as your fiancé?"
            I shake my head. "I don't want to lie to them, and what will I tell them when this eventually ends?"
           "Tell them we broke up," said Yamato. "Or maybe you won't have to tell them anything?"
           "What do you mean?" I said feeling my cheeks burning. Yamato looked straight at me. All I could do was look back at him fixated on his eyes.