7. Meeting the Parents

BANDIT’S POV

I rand the doorbell, clutching the lilies that I had picked up earlier for Cherry. I was a hopeless romantic fucker like that, plus I wanted to make a good impression on her parents. I heard Cherry yell from inside and smiled to myself. She was so hyper sometimes, it was adorable.

The door swung open and C pulled me into the house, closing the door behind me. Her eyes raked over me.

“Did you just check me out?” I asked, my voice low. She blushed and giggled that high pitched, weird, adorable giggle that only she could pull off. 

Just then, a man walked into the small entryway area, smiling. He looked just like Cherry, and was almost as short as her too. They had the same hazel eyes and features. His dark hair matched the roots of C’s. He must’ve been her father.

“Dad!” Cherry squealed, making me giggle, and she ran up, hugging him and pulling him over to me. He was staring at me like I had two heads. He looked like he had just seen a ghost. It was a little unnerving.

“Dad, I would like you to meet my girlfriend, Ba-” she was cut off by her dad’s voice.

“Bandit,” he breathed, and I looked at him, shocked. How did he know my name? Cherry said that she hadn’t told them my name. I quickly redeemed myself, not wanting to look like a total asshole, and held my hand out for him to shake.

“It’s nice to meet you Mr. Iero.” I say, smiling. He just stood there staring at me. It was getting really weird and I looked to Cherry for help. She was staring at her dad, equally as confused as I was.

“Daddy?” she said, sounding kind of scared. He seemed to snap back into reality. He shook his head like he was trying to get something out of it and looked at the ground, flustered.

“I, uh, I just remembered I have to do something,” he muttered before running back the way he came. 

Great job Bandit, you scared off her dad.

Cherry looked up at me apologetically. “I’m sorry about that, my dad is weird.” She smiled up at me. I smiled down at her as well. Hey, weird parents are better than no parents.

A small brunette walked in and I assumed that she was Cherry’s mom.

“Hey mom,” Cherry said, back to her old excited self. “This is Bandit, my girlfriend.” A look of sadness  flitted across her eyes, but it was gone as quickly as it came. 

“It’s nice to meet you Mrs. Iero.” She shook my hand and smiled.

“Oh, please, call me Jamia.” she glanced down at the lilies in my hand and lit up. “Ooh, you brought flowers! I’ll take those and put them in some water.” I handed her the flowers, and she ran off into another room. I heard her call out a few minutes later. “You girls can go sit down if you like, the table is already set.”

Cherry grabbed my hand and I let her drag me to a large dining room. I pulled out her chair and she grinned at my chivalry. I sat down, and we were soon joined by Jamia. She set the flowers I brought, which were now is a vase, in the middle of the beautifully set table, and started dishing food out to six plates that were set out around the table.

“I can help if you’d like.” I say, standing up, but she just brushes it off.

“No, you’re the guest. It would be rude.” I sit back down and she looks up at me apologetically. “Oh, and I am so sorry about Frank, he’s weird.” I smile at the words. 

“It’s fine. It’s nice to be around a family. I kind of missed out on all that.” She looked at me confused. “I was put into an orphanage when I was five.” I explain. She just nods and walks over to the stairs.

“Frank, Miles, Lily, dinner’s ready.” she called up. I remember that Cherry had told me that Miles and Lily were her siblings. Jamia joins us, and sits down across from Cherry. We’re soon joined by a girl who looks exactly like Cherry, but with bleached blonde hair, no piercings and a completely different style of clothing, and a boy who looked like he was in middle school that looked just like Jamia.

“Mom, do we have to eat dinner with them?” the girl groaned. Jamia glared at her.

“Lily, be nice. She’s our guest, and she is Cherry’s girlfriend. You will be nice, or you will not go to that party tomorrow night.” Lily looked appalled, but didn’t say anything back, just huffed and started picking at her food. 

“I’m sorry about her B. She’s still trying to wrap her head around the fact that I have a girlfriend.” Cherry smiled up at me and I just shrugged. I was used to it.

“So, Bandit, what kind of things are you into?” Jamia asked. I shrug.

“I’m really into music,” I answer. “And art, but that’s just a past time. I have a band, and I’m hoping that we’ll get signed soon.” Frank walks in right then and sits down.  Jamia looks at him.

“Frank, guess what. Bandits in a band.” he looks up at me. And so does Jamia. “Frank was in a band you know.” I smile and nod.

“Yeah, Cherry’s told me. My Chemical Romance right? I really like your music. The lead singer’s voice is so raw, it’s beautiful.” A smile forms on his lips.

“Really?” I nod. “Thanks. What instrument do you play in your band?” 

“Oh, I don’t play an instrument, I sing. I mean, I know how to play bass, and guitar a little, but not good enough to play and sing.” His smile widens, and I’m glad that it isn’t as awkward as it was when we first met.

“Well, if your voice  is anything like your father’s, you’ll go far.” We all stared at him in shock. Jamia choked on her food, and he looked up with a confused expression. “What?”

“Dad, you cant just say that. She doesn’t know who her parents are!” Cherry hisses. I blink back tears and force a smile. How would he know that my father had an amazing voice? Unless it was a guess. I could remember him singing to me when I was really little.

“Cherry it’s fine.” I say, and she looks at me. I feel her hand slip into mine under the table. She knows that I have a hard time talking about my parents. 

I couldn’t remember everything, but I knew that they had loved me, and my dad would sing to me. I must’ve been a three or four when they disappeared. I had always just assumed that they were dead, and the police had found me somewhere.

“I’m sorry.” I looked to Cherry’s dad.

“It’s fine.” 

“Bandit,” I looked to Jamia. She was staring at the table like she was deep in concentration. “What’s your last name?” 

“Um, Leeway?” I answer, but it’s more of a question. This time Frank chokes on his food and they both stare at me.

“Oh my god, you guys are so weird!” With that, Lily stomps out of the room.

“Guys, what’s going on?” Cherry asks.

“Um, Bandit, could we talk to you alone in the kitchen?” I hesitantly nod and stand up, following them into a large kitchen area. 

“What’s going on?” I ask, skeptically. Frank hugs me, and pulls away with tears in his eyes. This is getting really weird really quickly.

“Bandit. I know that this is really weird, but we know who your parents are.” I don’t know what happened next because I blacked out.