Chapter 22

"Bennett, please." I begged, grabbing his arm as he started walking away from me.

"The laws are not to be broken, Brook. If we let one person get away with treason then it will just cause a chain reaction." Bennett chided, like I was a toddler.

"Please, it's not his fault. He really didn't want to tell me, he only told me because I basically begged him to. It's my fault, not his." I protested.

"He knows better than to deny the king's wishes, even if it was at a princess's request."

"Please!" I cried, tears now streaming down my face. I couldn't lose Donovan. He was all I had left and I wasn't lying, I had practically begged him to tell me all about the war. And now I had ignored his warning not to tell anyone and my own mate was going to have him charged with treason. Donovan's words rung in my head: 'You might be a princess, but you don't get to decide who dies.' It appeared that Donovan had been wrong, I had unknowingly decided who would die.

"Bennett, please, I'll do anything." I pleaded.

"Please, you don't do anything for a guard." He scoffed, trying to take my hands off his arm.

"I would do anything for a friend." I argued, "Please, I will do anything as long as Donovan isn't charged with a crime he didn't even mean to commit."

Bennett paused, no longer fighting my grip or trying to progress out of the bedroom and down the stairs, but the glimmer in his eyes made my stomach turn sour. I had given him the upper hand, I knew that, but part of me didn't think he would take it.

"Would you really do anything to keep that man alive?" he challenged.

"Yes, I take full responsibility for what happened, the whole thing should've never occurred, he was simply obeying my orders as a princess."

"That's very noble of you." Bennett murmured, his eye roving over me.

"Thank you." I said, but I was fully aware that it wasn't a compliment and that my mate wouldn't let me get away with this.

"I'll make you a deal, princess."

"Alright, as long as Donovan doesn't get hurt."

"He won't, unless you disobey my orders."

I swallowed hard, "I'll do whatever you want."

Bennett smirked which made my insides twist. I had given him too much leverage, but then I thought back to the beginning of our conversation about the war, about how he had looked smug prior to giving me all the details. This had been his plan the entire time. This was exactly what he had wanted and I had walked right into his trap. Now, it was too late to back out. Donovan was on the line now and I had over played my hand.

"Well, I want a lot of things from you. I know this transition has been hard for you. You didn't exactly live like a royal before you came here and I understand that. But instead of trying to adjust you've simply been running away from your problems. As much as you may like to think otherwise, I am your mate and you are a princess, soon to be queen."

"Just tell me what you want from me." I said.

"I want you to act like a mate should, like a princess should. You're a public figure now, you need to show your face in more places than malls when you go on shopping sprees. You belong to the people as much as you belong to me and once you are crowned queen we will be travelling a lot, going from pack to pack to ensure their welfare.

"But, before I get ahead of myself, I also expect that we are crowned king and queen within the next year, which should not be much of a demand for you. In fact, I think that a year is too much time and the public will become suspicious, but no matter."

"You act like I play a hand in causing your parents to pass on their crowns."

Bennett snorted, "Obviously you do."

When I just stared at him stupidly he blinked in surprise, but explained, "The crown is passed down when the mating process between us has started. That means in a year's time I expect you to have my mark on your neck."

"My God you're putting a time constraint on my decision to let you mark me!" I gasped.

Bennett flinched slightly, but otherwise looked unfazed, "Well, if you don't wish to agree to my terms I'm sure Donovan would understand."

"Fine, in a year, I get it." I snapped, feeling close to my breaking point. I could not believe this was happening to me. I could not believe that the man who was supposed to love me unconditionally was trying to blackmail me into allowing him to bite my neck and emotionally bind myself to him.

"Good, I expect you to follow all of my orders in public, like a good mate would. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes." I whispered.

"Good, and once I have been crowned king you will be free to go where ever you please, okay?"

"What?" I said, startled.

Bennett turned away from me, "You pretend to love me until I have the throne, then you will be released from your duties as a queen and as my mate. I know that you don't love me now, and that there is very little chance that you ever will. As much as you may believe otherwise I don't wish to make you unhappy for the rest of your life."

I was stunned, hardly believing my ear and my grip on Bennett's arm loosened. Bennett took a deep, even breath like he was collecting himself, then he strode down the stairs with his easy swagger like nothing had ever happened.

But it felt like everything had changed for me in a matter of seconds.

*Let me know what you think is going to happen. How do you feel about Bennett now cause i kinda hate him. Maybe your opinion is different, tell me. thanks for reading!*