Chapter 23

And everything did change. I didn't think it would happen as quickly and as obviously as it did, but the next morning in the house Bennett was a distant and unfeeling as he had ever been. He just ordered me to get up and get dressed. Then, when he saw me wearing a comfortable jean shirt and black leggings he rolled his eyes and picked out a black pencil skirt and a plain blouse.

"You're a princess, not a college student."

I almost laughed out loud at his words. He had no idea how much I wished otherwise, but I forced myself to keep my mouth shut and slither into the uncomfortable outfit.

Breakfast was a quick bite of yogurt, the fluffy waffles that the kitchen staff had prepared made my stomach growl madly though. But when I went to sit down Bennett hastily pointed to the clock and told me that I could have cold waffles for lunch, if we even had a break for lunch. Honestly, I was just thankful he let me get a couple spoonful's of food in my mouth before he tugged me to the front door and told me to put on plain black high heels.

I protested adamantly. I might've been a princess at this point, but I wasn't raised as a princess and I had never worn heels in my life. Bennett wouldn't hear my excuse though, the second the awkward shoes were on my feel I was being pushed out the door and down the front steps. I stumbled so badly I feared I was going to fall face first onto the ground, but instead of being concerned, Bennett used this to his advantage. He looped his arm through mine to help stabilize me and really play up the couples act.

I had no idea where we were going. I didn't bother asking, I knew the stand point on women. It was much like children, seen, not heard. I was going to see people- whoever they may be- and Bennett was going to hold my hand and tell them all how in love we were. He needed to let people know that the natural order was still functioning and that they didn't need to be concerned.

And, as it turned out, I was right. Bennett escorted me to a building I had not been to before. The building was lovely, like all of the other structures on the royal grounds. Everything was very old fashioned, but very clean and clearly, very expensive. Then we entered a large room that was filled with only men who reeked of power and arrogance. My wolf snarled within me, it was the first I had felt her in months and it unnerved me deeply. I did not want to lose control again, not here, and not with Donovan on the line now.

"Ah, I see you finally been able to tame that wild beast." A loud voice boomed. I instantly identified the sound to be the king's voice and only made my wolf more furious within me. But I could not have an outburst, not here. Not in front of all these men.

Bennett chuckled, as if his father had said something funny and his hand fell against the small of my back affectionately, "Well, father, you know I like a challenge and the moon goddess gave me just that. Isn't that right, Brooklyn?"

I just gave Bennett a tight smile while the men all around us exploded into laughter.

The meeting fell underway the second we were seated and I didn't bother to listen to any of it. Some would've protested, telling me that, as the future princess, I should've been deeply concerned because these men were discussing the lives of werewolves all across the globe. They were making rules that would affect my father, sister, and Willow. But it hardly mattered what I felt anyway. I was the princess, the silent woman who would bend to her husband's words on a whim. I wasn't supposed to have opinions, just a pretty face and a nice smile.

And, if I was being honest, I was selfish. I wasn't worried about what was going on in the werewolf world. I was more concerned with what was going on in my world. My brain was spinning with last night's events. Bennett had basically set me up. He knew the moment I had opened my mouth about the war that I had gotten my information from Donovan. There was no one else I spent time with. And the second he learned that he could use Donovan against me he did. I felt dumb for being tricked so easily, especially after Donovan made it very clear that I was to tell no one that I knew about the war, but after my mistake it wasn't like I could've denied Bennett what he wanted.

I wasn't entirely sure if he would've actually reported Donovan for treason, or he was simply bluffing. He did seem cold hearted most of the time, but there had been a few moments of softness that shone through. Like when we went to the barn together and he spoke quietly to the large horses, or the day he saw me sobbing, covered in my own blood. I wondered if he really would've killed Donovan.

Then his proposition that I stay only until he is king. Then I would be free to do whatever I like, like go back home to my father or get on a plane and go to college abroad, maybe in Prague or Vienna. But why on Earth would he give me the option to leave? Didn't he want a mate to stay by his side for the rest of his life?

Then again, I wasn't really much of a mate at all. I was closed off, hostile, and resentful on the best of days. Other days I was so emotionally unstable there was a chance of explosion if anyone got too close. Maybe he just needed me to rise to power, then, he would get rid of me because I was too much work for too little profit.

"Come on." Bennett whispered in my ear softly.

When I came back to my senses I realized that everyone in the room was on their feet, either chatting with one another or getting ready to leave.

"It's over?"

"Yes sweetheart." He murmured. He stood up slowly and I followed his actions. He placed his hand on my elbow, whether it was a reminder to behave or a fake display of affection I couldn't tell, but it bothered me anyway.

"Are we going home now?"

"No, now we will go meet with my parents. My family wants to talk to you."

From the corner of my eye I noticed a man standing terribly close to us, not doing anything to hide the fact that he was eavesdropping on our conversation.

"But Ben," I pouted, "I wanted to spent time with you today. You're always so busy."

Bennett laughed a little, "Come on now, it'll just be an hour or so, then you can have me all to yourself, I promise."

Ɛ[Zɗ