Lost and Found - Chapter Six

26 February 2016

"Do I really have to go?" Maine said to Chard for the nth time, giving him a pleading look. "Look, I haven't been outside for years. I'm not sure if I can deal with the pressure."

Chard finished adjusting his tie before turning to face his girlfriend. "You'll be fine," He smiled at her. She looked like a vision. His princess. And he couldn't stop staring at her. "You look gorgeous, babe."

A flush covered her cheeks. "Really, Chard," she chided. "You know that doesn't work with me."

"Why can't you just take a compliment?" Chard sighed. "I know you're nervous but you don't have to be. I'll be beside you the whole time. You have nothing to be worried about."

His expression became determined and Maine felt her heart skip a beat. She had no intentions of saying yes to him when he first asked her out, but it seemed like the defenses that she put up were no match for him. She had no choice but to agree. And she hasn't regretted it ever since.

But she did regret saying yes to his invitation. She didn't really want people gawking at her, or trying to take her picture. She wasn't sure what she'll do if she suddenly has a panic attack in the middle of the dancefloor.

"I don't know, Chard," She swallowed hard. "What if I do something wrong? What if I trip? What if I insult one of your friends? Can't I just stay here?"

Chard came over to her and then took her hands. "Menggay, do you trust me?" He leaned into her.. He wanted her to relax, even for moment. He wanted her to believe that nothing bad will happen to her as long as he's there beside her.

She nodded carefully. "You know I do."

"Then trust me when I say that I'll always be with you," he said in a soothing voice. "You don't have to be scared. And if anything or someone makes you feel uncomfortable, just let me know. We're in this together..."

A few heartbeats later, she gave him a grateful smile. "Okay. I'm ready."

Chard's face broke into a grin. "Thank you,"he pressed a kiss on her forehead before extending his arm. "Let's go?"

***

Maine hoped that tonight wouldn't be an excruciating affair.

She already knew that she would feel out of place, but she figured that she'll manage if Chard was by her side. At least, that's what she was hoping for. You never really know what might happen right?

It turned out she was wrong.

Chard had been leading her around the room, introducing a whole bunch of people. She barely said a word, instead choosing to shake their hands and then moving on. She didn't care what they thought. She was tired and she just wanted to go home. She decided against telling Chard because he looked like he was actually having fun.

"Everyone," someone announced, and everyone stopped to look at the podium. "I have a special treat for you guys."

He looked around the room before continuing. "I just got word that one of the country's favorite authors is here tonight! If it's not any trouble, we'd like to ask her to come on stage and give us a few words."

Maine tightened her gripped on Chard's arm, horror and anxiety filling her. This wasn't a part of the plan. She didn't want to go on stage.

"Ms. Mendoza?" the man called out but she bit her tongue. She had no plans of speaking. "I see. Everyone, let's convince her shall we?"

All of a sudden, everyone was clapping their hands and cheering her name.