Lost and Found - Epilogue

Sometime in the future...

Chard wove through the crowd, fear hammering in his heart. Maine has been missing since this morning. No one knew where she was or where she could have gone. The moment he received a text from Pat, he didn't even stop to think. He only paused long enough to grab his phone and car keys before looking for her. It was as if he was overcome with the need to find her and make sure that she was safe. That she was happy. That she was home.

He didn't remember how upset he had been when she asked him to leave all those years ago. He didn't remember how he died at that moment. He didn't remember how hard it was to stay away, to not come after her after making his feelings clear. He didn't think about how much he regretted his decision to honor her wishes. Hell, he didn't even remember how much he missed her even know when he knew he shouldn't be.

But for some reason, there was one thing that he couldn't forget no matter how hard he tried. He still loves her. And that was the only reason he needed. Besides, he knew better than anyone that she loved him too. He found out earlier how her words immortalized every detail of him, and turned his character into a man who always ended up finding what he wanted. He learned that she ended up writing about her yearning for a man that was beyond her reach. A man who made her feel like she had a family. How could he still stay away from her after knowing that?

She has been alone all this time. But not anymore. He had enough of following other people's wishes. He's coming after her and he will refuse to let her go. He will hold on to her and make sure that she knew that he will always be there for her. Even if she decided otherwise.

He glanced around the room before rushing out into the garden of Maine's house. He still hadn't given up his search. He went to every place he could think of twice. And still, he couldn't find her. That's why he decided to check her house.

He gazed around and his heart stopped when he saw a woman standing a few feet away from him. She was staring into space, her hands on her side. She looked different. She had shorter hair and he could see that she was more at peace than before.

Chard immediately went towards her. "You're here." The tension in him went away and was replaced with relief. Maybe it was because after hours of searching, he finally found what he was looking for.

Maine turned to glance to him and her lips parted in shock. "What are you doing here? How did you find me? I thought ---"

"Where were you?" He cut her off. " I was worried about you!"

Her jaw dropped. "What? I..." She paused and fury pushed through her. How dare he ask her that after leaving her? Of course, she didn't even try to stop him. Did he truly think that she wanted him to stay away from her?

Chard shoved his fingers through his hair in frustration. "Akala ko may nangyaring masama sa iyo! Wala ka pa namang kasama!" He wrung his hands in frustration. "Kanina pa kita hinahanap! Naubos na iyung gasolina ng sasakyan ko dahil sa iyo! Hindi ka pa sumasagot ng tawag ko!"

"Why?"

For a moment, he looked confused. "Why what?"

"Why do you care?" She let out a bitter laugh and then folded her arms over her chest. "How many times do I have to say it? I don't need you or your pity! I'm doing fine on my own!"

"Maybe," he looked at her intently as he walked towards her. "But I'm not."

Before she could respond, he slid his hand around her waist and he pulled her against him. He then placed his hand on the back of her had, before dropping his head for a kiss. She gasped against his mouth and then kissed him back desperately. She desperately longed for this moment. She hadn't thought that it was possible until today.

They pulled apart slightly. "Don't ever do that again, okay?" He then lifted her chin and then gazed into her eyes. "Next time, let me know where you'll be. I promise that this time...I'll stay. I'll never leave your side."

"I'm sorry I asked you to leave all those years ago," Maine said quietly. "I've always thought about that moment and how I wished I was strong enough to say that I love you. And that all I ever wanted was for you to stay."

His face broke into a smile as he pulled her off him. "You didn't need to say anything. I should have fought harder then. I should have told you that I wanted to stay and be with you."

"Well, Chard," she poked him with a finger on his chest, a lopsided grin on her face. "I want to."

He let out a laugh. "Really? Well, what do you know? Mahal rin kita."

"Thank you for finding me," she raised her hand to touch his cheek. "I'm not sure what I'll do if I stayed lost."

He placed his hands on top of hers and responded softly, "I never knew I was searching for something until I met you...until I found you."

No one knew that they would find each other. No one knew that they would find the missing part of themselves in each other. No one knew that they would find what they've always wanted, what they were screaming on the inside and yearning for all their life, in each other. No one knew that they would find a love that will make them lose their minds and consume their thoughts.

But somehow, despite the circumstances, they did.