03

Amelia had just finished her junior year of high school.

It was late in the spring and everyone had begun to make plans for the summer. Beth was a freshman, and Maggie had been preparing for her trip off to her sophomore year of college in the fall. Life was good. Their father had been busy with work, traveling too and from people's houses. Hershel worked as a private veterinarian, so he didn't work too often. But when he did, he was paid fairly well.

Amelia had just gotten off the phone with her best friend, Sarah, when she got the news that their week-long trip to California was being canceled.

"Yeah, the flight was called off this morning." Sarah said over the line.

"Well did the attendant say why?" Amelia asked, twiddling the cord in her nimble fingers.

"Something about a big spread of the flu? I dunno, but it's real serious. They ain't letting hardly anyone on the west coast."

"Do you think they'll be all settled by July at least?" Amelia got slightly concerned. There was a pause.

"Amelia Anne." Sarah's voice dropped.

"What?"

"Are you watching channel twelve?" She asked cautiously.

"No... Why? What's on channel twelve?" Amelia stood up from her chair.

"Just go look."

"Sarah, I'm in my bedroom."

"Whatever, just hang up and call me back." Amelia did just that. She hung up the phone and trotted down the stairs, each one creaking like it always did.

She rushed into the living room and jumped onto the couch.

"Why are you in such a rush?" Beth asked, but Amelia ignored. She simply snatched the remote and changed the channel. "Hey--"

Beth stopped talking.

The television showed a blurry clip of what appeared to be a man violently attacking someone in Washington. The video replayed a few more times before the reporter's face was back on the screen. The story went on for only a few more minutes before a loud beep was heard. An alert flashed across the screen, a voice coming over the speaker.

"Daddy..." Beth called cautiously. Maggie made her way into the room.

"What's all the commotion--"

She looked at the screen. There was an emergency evacuation. The three sisters exchanged looks, impending doom beginning to weigh on their shoulders.

Short chapter, but I wanna do little flashbacks to normal life in the story. Maybe even just to earlier seasons? Idk, let me know what you think. I'm still trying to work out the flow of the story.