Chapter 8

A week has gone by since we moved into town. I've texted the twins but only Grayson has responded to me saying Lauren and I will be attending the same school as they are. I haven't gotten a text from Ethan in the whole week I've been here. 

I pushed aside the disappointment so that I could settle in. Plus I saw my best friend again after the whole summer. The best part is, our houses are right next door to each other. No more sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night.

Anyways, since the week has passed already that makes tomorrow my first day of school here. I set out my clothes for tomorrow. All I put out was a pair of black skinny jeans with rips on the knees, a white graphic t-shirt, and my trust denim jacket. (image)

I threw my hair into a braid and went off to bed. Maybe tomorrow I can introduce Laur to the boys. We'll see if she faints or not.

----

I groan in disapproval when my alarm goes off. I instinctively swipe my home screen to end the most annoying sound in the world. My brain remains dead and drifts back to sleep.

I am once again rudely awakened as my second alarm goes off.  This time I, not so gracefully, stop the alarm and fall out of bed. Literally face first onto the floor.

The strength to get up isn't in me and so I scooch my way across the floor to the bathroom. I turn on the water for the shower and force myself to stand up. Yeah I'm not much of a morning person.

After I shower I begin getting ready. I dress up and then start my makeup. All I do is apply a bit of BB cream and concealer as a base, curl my eyelashes and put mascara on. My look is completed with a bit of Burt's Bees lip balm. 

I flip my head over and blow dry my hair for any damp spots that haven't air dried yet. Once my hair is all dry I add some anti-frizz to my thick wavy hair and flip my hair to the left of my face.I put on my Adidas and go to Lauren's to pick her up. I'm older than her by a few months so I have to drive the both of us to school.

"Hey girlie!" Lauren says hopping into the passenger seat of my blue Jeep. She passed me one of two bacon egg and cheese sandwiches.

"Heyo. Thanks for breakfast."

"Of course. I don't want you to starve."\

"Thanks gorgeous. Love you," I say pulling out of the driveway.

"For the rest of our lives beautiful," she says with an exaggerated wink. We're highkey married. 

She plugs in the AUX cord and blast Shawn Mendes and we sing the whole way to school.

When we arrive there are already people staring at us. Some guys are checking us out. Well more like Lauren. I'm the DUFF. She's the one with the shining light brownish blonde hair and bright green eyes. She's also the tall one.

I roll my eyes and look for a pair of twins. When I saw who I was looking for I tugged at Lauren's arm and we made our way towards them.

"Grayson! Ethan!" I call.

They turn around and Grayson immediately conjures a pearly white smile and engulfs me with a hug. I think Laur's heart fell out of her chest.

"Sky! I missed you shortie," he said placing an arm around me, "And is this Lauren? The best friend?"

I saw him eye her up and down and smirked when Lauren noticed it too and started turning bright pink. I introduced the two and let me tell you. I think I should be called Cupid cause I saw sparks flying like it was the Fourth of July.

I look over and see Ethan with a small smile on his face but he was not looking at me nor Lauren and Grayson for that matter. He was looking off into the distance as if he didn't even know me.

"Earth to Ethan? It's Skylar. The person who metaphorically split her heart with you? A hi would be nice," I say

He awkwardly scratches the back of his neck and says," Hi."

"Well don't sound too excited to see me," I say sarcastically.

"Sorry it's just I don't know how to react. I thought I wasn't gonna see you until next year."

"I texted you and your brpther what was up. You obviously didn't see them but Grayson did. How did you--? Never mind it's fine. Actually could you show me and my friend, Lauren, where the main office is? We need to get our lockers and schedules."

"You know what? I can't right now I have to talk to my football coach about something for this season. Sorry. Grayson can take the two of you. I'm sure he wouldn't mind," he says acknowledging the two people behind us kicking it off. 

"Uh sure. Go ahead. Can I meet up with you later and see what classes we have together?"

"Depends when the coach and I stop talking. But we'll find out during the day if anything, ok?"

I mumble an ok. Ethan's face shows a mental argument going on but one side must have won as he brought me into a quick hug and pecked my head.

"I did miss you though," is all he said before heading instide the blue doors of the school.

I turn back around at Gray and Laur. Hmmm. Graylaur? Laurson?

They were having an adorable conversation about romcoms/romance movies.

"But The Notebook is the iconic love story and one of my favorite movies of all time. How could you never have watched it before?" Grayson pouts.

"I'm sorry! Sky's been trying to get me to watch it for years but I've just never gotten around to seeing it," she shrugs.

"You and Sky can come  over after school then. We can all watch the notebook. Maybe you and I could get pizza or something after too?"

Lauren blushes and stutters," Like a date?"

Grayson blushes too now nodding his head. I smile and put a hand to my heart. I wait a moment taking this cute moment in before interrupting.

"Well as cute as this is, lovebirds, I think Grayson has to show us the office to get our shit together for present day school. Not thinking about after school plans til it's actually after school, right?"

Grayson regains composure, or at least tries to hide his embarrassment, and becomes all goofy saying to follow him. But being hypocritical I can't help but wonder why Ethan was lying to me. I know he was. He didn't have to see his coach, but I intend on finding out what happened over the past two weeks that changed after school ends. I'm getting a clear answer no matter what.