Chapter 11

I let out another guttural sob. I want a relationship like Noah and Allie!

Lauren and Grayson were awkwardly rubbing my back. They both stopped crying about 5 minutes ago. I wasn't surprised at the fact that Grayson cried too. He's such a girl at heart.

"Just go! Go on your date and leave already. I'll be fine...eventually."

The two exchanged worried glances. Unfortunately they both knew how I am when I get emotional. Especially before shark week.

I gave them the best smile I could muster. They finally gave up.

"Fine. We'll see you later. Ethan should be coming back soon anyways," Grayson said.

"Okay. Have fun on your date. Don't do anything your mother wouldn't approve of to my baby, Grayson."

Lauren rolled her eyes and said, "Alright mom stop embarrassing the poor guy and finish eating your damn cookie dough."

She and Grayson left and I was left with only Gizmo to keep me company. Mrs. Dolan had to go to work about half an hour ago.

I went up into Ethan's room and got comfy in his bed. I closed my red eyes and inhaled his lingering scent on his pillows.

I still can't believe how much optimism is held in his body. He still believes that Julie feels the same way even after the way she dumped and left him without any sort of contact for the rest of the summer. That was over two months.

And still, over those two long months he continued to look at her like the sun. Bright and beautiful but hurts you the longer you try to look at it. The closest that man has been next to her celestial body resulted in the burning of every part of the man's existence.

A tear slipped from my eye. The moon, which is closer to the sun, the body that gravitates towards the Earth and provides comfort when the sun is gone, is disregarded. Even though she provides the brightest light in the darkness, the Earth and his billions of living humans look at her like an old feat ever since they first connected with her.

She is always there no matter what. When the sun is high in the sky, she is still visible, but invisible to him. The sun is all he sees.

In my thoughts I don't notice the Earth enter the room's rotation.

Ethan plops onto the bed and cuddles me from behind. The same way he did whenever he came to my beach house over the summer. His strong arms wrap around my alright sized waist. He buried his head in my neck and nuzzled into it.

"Hey E. How was your date?"I ask with my raspy crying voice.

"It was great. Hey what's wrong Sky?" he asks with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Nothing I'm fine. We were watching The Notebook before Gray and Lauren left. It still gets me every time."

"That's not all. C'mon you can trust me."

I can trust Ethan. He already has my heart. But he can't know that all I want is to hold and protect his.

"It's nothing Ethan. Drop it," I say turning around and facing him.

Ethan frowns, "Look if you're upset about me going out with Julie I get it. Than yo for wanting to protect me, but I'm a big boy."

"Ethan. I said drop it."

He unravels his arms from around my waist and lies down flat on his bed.

"Why are you pushing me away? I haven't seen you in two weeks. Is that all it takes for you to distance yourself from me?"