Darkness Rising pt 3

"You can stop here," I chuckled nervously.

The massive rig down shifted to a stop, in rapid progression. The stop was smooth, flawless, perfect. I unhooked my belt, and moved to climb out the door.

"Carabelle, wait," Optimus' voice stated, my door locking itself. "What is this?"

I sighed, looking out the window. I had him stop directly above my pipe. It was supposed to storm that night, and if I wasn't planning on soaking my only set of clothes. Again.

"I am homeless, Optimus," I explained, looking into my lap. "I do not have a home,"

He said nothing for a while. I didn't dare move for fear of offending him. Suddenly, the door popped open, and I stared at the steering wheel in shock. Was he?...

I bowed my head even lower, climbing out of his cab carefully. I glanced back at him as the door slammed shut, and I descended down the side of the underpass, preparing myself to never see him again.

The sound of metal clashing to metal caused me to whip back around, jumping back a bit as I was met face - to - face with the blue circles of Optimus' eyes.

"Why did you not inform me earlier?" He softly demanded.

"Optimus, you'll, be seen," I put off the topic, not wishing to discuss my situation.

"I have scanned the surrounding area. It is a construction zone, there are no humans around for miles," he reassured me, getting even closer to me. "Why did you not inform me earlier that you had no bed to turn to?"

I bowed my head again, scuffing my feet. "I am not proud of my predicament," I answered softly, a rough edge still clinging to my throat. "I had feared you would... abandon me."

A black, metal object appeared gently underneath my chin. With just the slightest bit of pressure, it forced my head up, my eyes meeting that of the bot's.

"I will swear to you at this very moment, Carabelle," his face grim, eyes focusing in earnest. "I will never abandon you." I nodded, watching as he pulled his finger away, transforming yet again, opening his passenger door. "You will recharge in my sleeper,"

"Optimus," I protested. "With all due respect, from what I have gathered, you are a very important Cybertronian on a very important mission here on Earth. You should not be set back because you are caring for a weak, human female hardly capable of caring for herself,"

"Cara-"

"No!" I demanded, silencing the voice. "I will not accept any other answer. Return to base, Optimus. I will catch a ride with someone in the morning." I smiled, leaning softly against the the metal of the side of the truck. I planted a hesitant, gentle kiss to his frame. "Goodnight, Optimus."

I retreated back to my pipe, listening for the engine to start above me. When it did, I was surprised when I heard it drive barely half a mile and cease again. I looked out my pipe, seeing Optimus' frame resting above on the bridge, blending into the night. I grinned, soft bot he was.

~---~

I yawned, stretching out the muscles around my shoulders. I was a little damp from the trickle of water running through the pipe, however the storm had passed overhead. I walked towards the hole, mind wandering to the events of the past two nights.

My stomach clenching in on itself halted my tracks, crippling me for half of a second. My arm grabbed at my empty stomach, grazing my exposed ribs as I did. I shuddered, only with my mental note to hunt for food settling my stomach. I straightened slowly, kneading my stomach smoothly, pleading the pain away.