Masters and Students

A few days had passed since the autobots returned from their adventure into space. Everyone was fully repaired, even the slightest scratch was buffed out by yours truly. I hadn't returned to my pipe since the last night that I was there with Optimus keeping watch on the bridge, and after my trip to bug Jack as he was working the night before, I hadn't consumed much food. Which, as I expertly hid it, no one knew.

Optimus had taken to seating me upon his left shoulder, where I sat with ease in the mass of cables and pistons. It was like I had a home there, in that spot. I had gotten used to waking from Optimus' sleeper, and finding myself resting sweetly on his shoulder the next moment.

Occasionally, Optimus would pause in front of the ground bridge and stare at it for prolonged periods of time. I didn't question it; I understood there would be memories associated with that bridge. After all, the injuries he had returned with informed us all of the extent of the battle that had taken place.

Optimus was having one of these moments now, Sunday morning. I looked around, trying not to think of the weight of the air surrounding us. The kids were with their respective bot, trying to accomplish a science project for the science fair. Raf, a volcano, Miko a model of the solar system, and Jack, a motorcycle. Ratchet was eyeing Optimus curiously.

"Optimus, why so glum?" he asked, stepping forward finally. "This planet -- all planets -- are finally safe from Megatron's tyranny."

I couldn't help but notice Optimus flinch with the last of Ratchet's words. He shook his head softly, looking down.

"I do not disagree, Ratchet," he stated glumly. "It's just ... a small part of me hoped to change Megatron's mind; not extinguish his spark."

"Optimus," Ratchet stated as if he didn't believe the words he was hearing. I , on the other hand, was moved by the gentleness that Optimus portrayed, not that of a warrior wanting to kill the one who had murdered so many, but wanting to change his views to see the wrong he was doing. I laid a gentle hand on his face, something that had also become sort of a habit. I gained his attention, his eyes full of pain and sorrow. "His vileness was not slain by your hand," Ratchet continued. "But by his own twisted arrogance," Optimus hummed in frustration, my hand moving to gain his attention back to my eyes once he tried to turn away. "I'm sorry, I know the two of you had quite a history."

Although this statement peaked my curiosity over such history, my logic reminded me that now was not the time for a history lesson. Optimus was hurting, I had to bring him out of the hole he was digging.

"But the Megatron whom I once fought beside perished eons ago, the day he chose to become a decepticon,"

Before I could even think of a response, an explosion rocked the walls of the base, smoke gathering from behind the computer.

...Where Raf and Bee were working on an active volcano model.

I laughed as Ratchet and Optimus ran towards the "threat" pausing to find Raf covered in soot, Bee waving the smoke away from his small friend.

"It's not decepticons, Ratchet," Raf muttered embarrassingly.

"It's a volcano," I laughed again, earning a mischievous glare from Optimus.

"Hold still Bulkhead!" Miko protested as Bulkhead froze once more, holding up the planets as Miko painted. "Jupiter needs her red spot," she grinned, moving the brush to paint the little ball, but freezing as yet another drop landed on the floor below. "Whoopsie!"

"What," Ratchet groaned. "In the Allspark, is going on in here!?"

"Our projects are due tomorrow," Jack informed from his place by the motorcycle, Arcee studying a pile of parts. She grabbed a muffler, holding it out to Jack.