e i g h t

PEARL

   I NEVER thought I'd already be falling for someone less than a month after a breakup

   I NEVER thought I'd already be falling for someone less than a month after a breakup. I should tell Violet about Detox, it's the right thing. But I can't, I can't mess this up. It's just better if he doesn't know.

   At the school courtyard, Fame, Max, Trixie, Violet and I sit on a bench. By now we assume with the whole Trixie situation, Katya is not hanging out with us anymore.

   I have my arm wrapped around Violet's shoulder. At this point, I don't know what's between Violet and I. I can't say we're dating, because we're not. I can't say we're just friends because we're not.

   Manila Luzon passes us by, "Hey guys!"

   "Hey Manila." I wave.

   He starts crossing his eyes making us all laugh. It's always a good time with Manila. He's pretty much the life of the party, always throwing parties. He once threw one in Manila and flew everyone out to come.

He sits down and starts mustering up a conversation. "So how was y-" He's stopped in his words as an angry bowl headed boy stomps over, Detox.

"So this is the guy you're screwing now?"

"Detox..." I keep my arm wrapped around Violet, to let Detox know he has no control over me anymore.

"It's not like that, we're just friends." Violet explains standing up.

"Just friends?" Detox shoves Violet, he falls back onto the bench.

"Hey!" I stand up to Detox, he furrows his eyebrows in disgust.

His emotions are unreadable right now. He gives us all a dirty glance before turning back into Building Five.

"I think I have to uhhh, go. The rest of the Heathers are waiting for me in Building Three." Manila says gathering his backpack and jacket.

"Your classes aren't for another ten minutes?"

   "I have to go to A.S One!"

   I wave my hand at him, shooing him for his sad 'This is a very uncomfortable and awkward situation, I'm going to be leaving now' excuse.

   He skips along the black top, following down the buildings all the way to his destination, away from us. He went to go talk to a long gray haired boy, Raja.

   In Math, I feel a light tap on my shoulder, Violet passes me a note.

I'm bored.

I scout through my desk trying to find a pencil in one of my binders, I write back

I can't do anything about that :)

I hand it back and see a small grin graze upon Violet's features, we pass the note back and forth a few times.

I hate you!

I can't do anything about that either, sweetheart.

Sweetheart? Where did all these pet names come from you weirdo.

I love the corny pet names. They're cute, you're cute.

As Violet writes something down and is about to pass it over, the teacher catches him.

"Mr. Chachki? Passing notes?"

He freezes, before awkwardly nodding as the whole class gives him dirty glares.

The teacher goes back to the lesson.

"What did you write?" I lean back, whispering low enough for him to only hear. I can't bare seeing Violet getting in trouble again.

   He tucks it away mischievously before giggling, "You'll find out later, sweetheart."

I try downplaying his words, trying to ignore it so it doesn't bother me. But it's killing me.

________________________________________________________________

After school, I show Violet my very underwhelming art studio. By art studio I mean the little storage room in my apartment building where I paint.

I grasp onto the rusty door handle, keeping it closed. "Before you come in here, don't get your hopes up. It's not that great."

I then turn the door open. There's a small wooden desk with my drawings scattered everywhere. There's a drawing in-the-works on my old easel.

His eyes light up, radiating his brown pupils. "Pearl, this is amazing! You really do have talent."

I'm pretty bad at taking compliments, so I just shrug. He looks around, picking up paintbrushes and sketches.

   "So how long have you been painting?"

   "A few years."

   I sit on the old worn down couch. Watching Violet.

   "What?" He laughs, catching me staring.

   "Nothing?"

   He skips over, sitting right next to me.

   He goes in for a kiss, I push him off confused.

   "Were you going to...kiss me?"

   "Well, what do you think stupid?"

   "Oh, okay." I agree to it, leaning in.

   My lips press against his own. They're cold and soft, but warm me. I deepen the kiss, One hand on his cheek and my other hand's fingertips slowly caressing the small of his back.

"Did you ever come up with a name for her?" He asks pulling away uncomfortably, pointing to the drawing of the woman he once met before.

"Vladonna."

"Are we...together?"

I reply winded, "Yeah," I gasp, "I guess."

Hey guys! Please tell me what you think :))) Don't he a silent reader and comment your opinions on the story so far it'd mean so much to me <3