f i f t e e n

PEARL

   "FINE just leave then!" My distressed mom yells as I frantically pace around my bedroom

   "I will!" I grab a duffle bag stuffing as many things I can before stomping out into the New York City day light.

   I don't know where to go or who to turn to. Trixie? Fame? Max? Violet... I don't want to seem like needy. I was just there a few weeks ago crying to Violet.

   I take the subway. My foot repeatedly taps on the ground, impatiently waiting to get off. Once it comes to a holt I almost jump out. I run to Trixie's. I knock hard on the narrow house's
black door.

   He I can hear him wobble to the door. When he opens it looks like as if I woke him up from a nap. His hair is messy and he starts to rub his eyes.

   "Pearl?" He double takes.

   "They kicked me out."

   His tone of voice matches his facial expression, shocked. "What? Come inside." He tugs on my sleeve.

   "So you're telling me," He picks up the blankets laying on his couch, "Your parents kicked you out."

   "Well they really didn't kick me out, more like I left myself. Well my mom kinda did kick me out now that I think of it."

   "Why would you leave? Won't someone be worried?" He sits down on the arm chair as I place myself on the couch.

My parents couldn't care less. My old man doesn't care if I'm in an car wreck, dead in an alleyway, or in a drunken fight.

   I bite my lips rubbing the back of my neck, wondering where to go next. "How am I supposed to go to school? I have to finish."

"Well you can't stay here." He admits getting up to go to the kitchen.

"What do you mean?" I question following him in his footsteps.

"Look, all I'm saying is my parents can't even stand me, they're not gonna let you in the house." He says taking a bite into his sandwich.

"Then what can I do?"

Trixie suggests, "Go to Violet's." He chews obnoxiously loud on the ham sandwich.

Violet's? Would he let me stay for a while, just until things cool off with my parents? Will this never ending battle ever cool off with my parents? "Nothing temporary." I reassure him.

"Nothing temporary." He repeats.

I pat Trixie on the back before taking my bag and speeding out the door. Trixie lives conveniently close to Violet so I don't need to take a subway or taxi.

   On my way to Violet's place I call him,

   "Hey."

   "Hey Vi, so long story short. I can't come home, can I stay with you?"