f o u r

PEARL

   SCHOOL is probably my worst enemy

SCHOOL is probably my worst enemy. Like Ginger and Violet, worst enemies. They're both snappy at each other and are throwing insults back and forth like a game of catch.

   It's ridiculous, it's Violet's first few weeks and Ginger is already finding new prey to leap on and giving him a hard time. I never know what's going to slip through those two's teeth.

   "My god Violet, you've been here for a few weeks wearing the same thing everyday and get praised by everyone for it. Skinny people like you get praised for wearing a tshirt and jeans while big girls like me and Jadynn," He points his thumb in Jadynn's general direction, "Have to put everything into our outfits just to squeeze at least one compliment out of someone one."

   "Bitch you look desperate." Violet drawls out rolling his eyes.

   Ginger goes silent as Violet takes a long gulp from his water bottle. Ginger gives him the side eye before turning back around.

"Hey Vi, don't let Ginger and his old man brigade get to you. He just wants to get in your head."

"Oh I know, I'm usually very dismissive about these kinds of things." Violet kind of shrugs it off but I know he was hurt, really hurt.

After about five minutes I offer Violet something. "Hey Violet, today at lunch I want to introduce you to my friend circle. Just to help you get settled in New York."

"I'll be there..." He nods whispering softly so no one else hears.

"Good." I wink turning back around to the papers scattered across my desk. Getting started on the worksheets my teacher handed out.

________________________________________________________________

   At the end of third period I lean in the doorway of Violet's third class. Patiently waiting for him to finish up. I usually ditch third period, it's health class. All the teach about it to not get a girl pregnant blah blah blah. I don't need to worry about that though.

   As the bell rings Violet is surprised by my appearance. "What are you doing here? You have class too don't you?"

   "I usually skip it," A long pause overtakes me as I take in Violet's beauty, "Let's go." I bite my thumb nail as my finger points out in the left direction. Forming an accidental finger gun.

   "So why do you skip third period?"

   "It's boring."

   "You can do that?"

   "Oh Violet innocent Violet, everyone does that." I chuckle.

  "I'll take your word for it."

   Arriving at the cafeteria is like entering the wild. Violet's a gazelle trapped in a lion's den. He's lost.

   "Over here!" A voice calls out from the table next to us, it's Trixie.

   "Hey guys, this is Violet." I introduce Violet to everyone. There's six people at the table, Bianca, Adore, Fame, Max, Trixie, and Katya. Even though Trixie and Katya broke up, the share the same group of friends so are forced to sit at the same table.

   Everyone turns their attention towards Violet. Violet smiles shyly responding, "Hi."

   "Oh hey I know you." Adore points to Violet, "You're the kid that accidentally went to building six."

   Violet raises a hand, "Guilty."

   We stand there before Trixie offers, "What are you doing? Sit down."

"So where are you from?" Fame crosses his hands meeting his eyes with Violet's.

   "I'm from-"

   "-HOTLANTA!" Adore cuts him short enthusiastically.

   Everyone at the table stares at Adore awkwardly, before bursting out in laughter. The loud cafeteria is buzzed with more noise.

   For the rest of the period everyone is intrigued in Violet. They're all engaged in the story Violet is talking about. They can't get enough of him, it's relieving to know my friends like him. But I think I like him a lot more.